Pool Disk Measures at 2TB, Drive Label missing and cannot be re-set [update - fixed]

Dvluper

Question

Out of nowhere, DrivePool and Scanner somehow thought my license was being applied to another machine and it asked me to reapply. This was just a couple button clicks and the license key was reapplied.

This had serious consequences, my first pool is now broken. This has broken several servers and external machines that rely on the shared drive.

Screenshots

The drive letter is the same, but the volume label is and the size is incorrect.

image.png.3df90cf1597b7e18a9137c727dd263ab.png

If I select the drive in File Explorer,  it shows the drive as "Local Disk - Unlabled Volume 8" the contents appear to be unaffected

image.png.656d9cca18999c183d208dcd0c05e839.png

Other things I've tried

• If I try to set the volume name in Powershell, it doesn't take effect
  • If I try to rename the volume using other windows features, it fails due to "needs escalated prov" error
  • If I try to use Disk Manager to set the volume's name, it doesnt take effect either.

Solution Ideas?

I remember having a similar issue in the past where the drive all of a sudden capped out at 2TB, and the recommendation was to remove the pool and re-add it. Do you think this will also fix the issue again? If yes, please provide step-by-step instructions, I cant afford to mess this up :)

1 answer to this question

I fixed this by completely uninstalling Stablebit DrivePool and Stablebit Scanner. After reboot, I reinstalled both apps. DrivePool automatically detected the pools in the disks and re-listed them.

However, this did not fix the issue right away.

The major improvement was that I was able to unassign the drive letter in DrivePool. Then I immediately re-selected "Assign drive letter" and Windows gave me back the same letter.

Again, at this point, the problem was sill not fixed, but I was able to give the drive letter a label. Using file Explorer, right clicked on "K:\Local Disk - Unlabled Volume 8, I selected rename and named it "DrivePool".

This was a critical turning point, with the label, I was able to share the drive again.

There is still an issue, DrivePool is not seeing the label and isnt detecting file system type:

image.png.3ad655901a9418a9b494da5e12cddcd7.png

If I switch to my other pool, it is working as expected:

image.thumb.png.18d492815c1f28b886515821f5cbe134.png

@STAFF

If there a known issue if I use the label "DrivePool"? Should I use a different name?