Jump to content
Covecube Inc.

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'covefs.sys kernel system high'.



More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • Covecube Inc.
    • Announcements
    • Nuts & Bolts
  • BitFlock
    • General
  • StableBit Scanner
    • General
    • Compatibility
    • Nuts & Bolts
  • StableBit DrivePool
    • General
    • Hardware
    • Nuts & Bolts
  • StableBit CloudDrive
    • General
    • Providers
    • Nuts & Bolts
  • Other
    • Off-topic

Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


AIM


MSN


Website URL


ICQ


Yahoo


Jabber


Skype


Location


Interests

Found 1 result

  1. All, QUESTION... 1. Why is my drivepool (covefs.sys) chewing up my CPU?? BACKGROUND... 1. When copying large files, i can achieve 150+ MB/s R/W transfer speed easily. Transferring a large *.MKV results in almost no PC CPU usage, at pretty fast transfers. This is the ideal situation! 2. When doing other mundane task covefs.sys inside system.exe (nt kernel) is using 8 threads (normal) at very moderate to high cpu utilization. 3. Very high cpu usage is noted during plex transcodes, plex folder metadata refresh/updates, etc... i understand transcoding is CPU intensive, i get that. My issue is covefs.sys is using more cpu than plex transcoding process itself which is totally wrong. PC SYSTEM... 1. AMD 940 Phenom II, 3.0GHz - stock clock/no overclock 2. Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe MB 3. IBM M1115 (LSI (9240-8i) SAS2/SATA3 raid card. Configured for pass through, no card raid. All drivepool drives are controlled from this card 4. 12.7TB pool, using 8 drives. 3 different model types, SATA 2 and 3 mixed 5. WIN 7 Ultimate X64 - 100% VIRGIN INSTALL TODAY CHANGED NOTHING!!! Only have Plex + Drivepool installed on a fresh bare metal install from MS DVD. I recently decided to wipe clean, start fresh just to prove it was not me or my software 6. PC is media server. It runs high performance power 100% of the time. Runs Plex + Media Center Master + Utorrent 24/7. That is it. It is main repository for house + serves media to remote plex clients. I use no power save crap, no cool & quiet, no sleep, no anything. I need raw power, not power saving. 7. I have disabled indexing in the pool drive WIN7 properties window, no change 8. I have disabled indexing + search services from WIN7 thinking i was getting bamboozled my MS, no change NOTES... 1. I know the hardware is old, give me a break please. I can stream 4 1080p transcodes at the same time without drivepool and barely break a sweat. With drivepool i can do 1, maybe 2. 2. It appears for some reason (my thought process) that during heavy transfer the Raid card kicks in and takes the info directly from source to destination. During slower, multiple reads it uses covefs.sys and offloads the work the PC CPU??? is this possible??? 3. Due to all pool drives residing on my PCIE Raid card, could the motherboard be gagging on the throughput on the PCIE bus or northbridge/southbridge controllers? 4. It appears to me that during low speed, multiple read/writes accessing lots of small files, it uses 10x more cpu than transferring large GB files. It is literally night vs day difference between little files and big 5. I have confirmed everything mentioned above numerous times over two weeks and have used process explorer to pinpoint the covefs.sys usage. The CPU usage is even across all 8 threads. 6. If this cannot be resolved, i have two options... Dump drivepool and go to Server 2012E OR Spend $700 for new MB/CPU/RAM to possibly prove this is not resolved. Both of these possible resolutions cost me more money and heartache migrating to MS storage spaces. Any help, guidance or opinions would be great. I am frustrated due to never noticing this until lately and it is grinding my gears and burning up my CPU. The PC is becoming useless during these times and is killing my performance elsewhere in the system. Overall I can only transcode at roughly 30-40% due to covefs.sys using the other 50-60%
×
×
  • Create New...