Ultravnc vs Windows RDC

sspell

Question

Any u guys use ultravnc just installed it on my machines. a lot more features than windows remote desktop connection and does not log off the machine u remote to. A big benefit to me over rdc. Not quite as snappy as rdc but pretty close. Seems pretty good let me know if u tried it or if u had any problems. 

3 answers to this question

There is a hack to enable "concurrent sessions" for Remote Desktop.  May be worth looking into.

But I mainly use Remote Desktop, because I have Server 2012 Essentials, which includes Remote Desktop Gateway (basically a secure proxy for Remote Desktop, done over port 443).  But locally, I use TightVNC to manage my media center (as XBMC won't work over remote desktop).  And yes, the experience overall is much better for RDP, even if you install the "extra" stuff to get better gfx over VNC.

Basically, it depends on what you're doing.

Never could get the mirror driver to work on ultravnc. So I tried the tightvnc and the mirror driver works fine. I just like the full screen of ultra but it's laggy without the mirror. The RDP hack violates the Microsoft user agreement from what I read. Trying out tightvnc for a while see if I like it seems responsive more so than ultravnc.

Yes, sorry, you are right. Any modifications of any system file violates the EULA for anything from Microsoft. 

There is also a trick to "restore" the session to the computer after you're done RDPing into it. This just takes advantage of built in tools.

http://www.tenniswood.co.uk/technology/windows/how-to-restore-a-media-center-session-after-using-remote-desktop/