SMART Error show failing vs Scan of sectors is perfect

Beaker1024

Question

So I plugged a removal HDD in for the first time and instantly got a SMART error failing drive less than 24hrs.  Over 1808 Reallocated Sectors Count

So I let it do a sector scan for a while and it came up completely clean!

Does it matter that I have 80% of the drive partitioned and encrypted with TrueCrypt?

I know that SMART is a log of stats on the drive vs the scanning of the sectors to seeing if they are readable physically on the disk.

How do you handle having SMART reading saying the disk is dieing soon and the scan / usage be perfectly fine?

7 answers to this question

Reallocated sectors are different from bad sectors.

Well, in that they were bad, but have been remapped.

However, a large number of remapped sectors like this can indicate a serious defect/problem with the disk.

Additionally, a large number of remapped sectors can adversely affect performance on the pool (read and write), as the heads are jumping every which way, as the sectors for affected sections are not longer sequential. 

In this case, I would recommend RMAing the drive if it's under warranty, or use it for nothing important or performance sensitive.

And no, TrueCrypt should not adversely affect either the scan or the SMART data like this.

Thanks for the information!

It's just my backup drive that gets connected decrypted and a sync program usually only needs 5 minutes to put any new or modified files to it.  Then it's disconnected and waits till the next backup/sync.

Performance is of the lowest priority and it'll never be part of a DrivePool.

Alternativesurfer:

Sometimes, other issues can cause "false positives" in StableBit Scanner's service scan. Specifically cable, controller or sometimes power issues.

You can clear the damaged sectors, and let StableBit Scanner rescan the disk.

To do so, open up the StableBit Scanner UI. 

From there, find the disk in question, and click on the "+" on the left hand side of the disk.

Find the button with a green circle, with a green arrow in it.

Click on this and select the "mark all unreadable blocks as unchecked" 

This will cause StableBit Scanner to rescan the disk. If the damage comes back, then there may be an issue with the disk that isn't being detected by DrivePool. 

However, did you run "chkdsk /r"? Specifically, the "/r" flag is what tries to find and repair these damaged sectors

Additionally, running "chkdsk /b" may be better and detecting this issue.

Additionally, the act of scanning the disk, or running the chkdsk may have fixed the issue that the disk was having.

Or it could have been a transient issue with the controller for the disks.

If the "damage" doesn't come back, you may want to  run the "burst test" option for the disk (Right click on it, select "burst test") Let this run 24 hours (or at least overnight). If it comes back with issues, then you may have an issue here.