Please help understand the Drive Identifying

lottathought

I am building a new server and plan to use Drivepool.

I am a little foggy on a few things though. 

I get that there is "theoretically" a Pedabite limit due to Windows constraints.

And I get that I do not have to assign every hard drive a letter in Windows.

And no, I do not have 26 drives...but I like to know my options and limits.  Also, even at 10 or better drives, that screen would get cluttered.

So...my questions are...

If I do not assign letters to the drives, how do I locate a drive if it has failed?

And frankly, even with letters assigned to the drives...coming from Server Vers 1 with Wireframe, it is nice to have some grahical way to see where in your setup the failing drive is.

Is there any way or any add on to do this with in Drivepool?

Actually, to be honest, the DrivePool should circumvent any drive size limitation. The driver shows up as a 2TB disk. However, everywhere else in Windows, it shows up as the actual size of the pool. This should prevent running into the limit. 

As for the disks in the pool, there are a couple of ways to identify them.

• By the number (as it appears in disk management)
  • By the disk labels (even with a letter, they can still have labels, and DrivePool sees that)
  • DrivePool has an "Identify" option when a disk is missing to ping the disks, so you can see which are connected and where. (if the case has LEDs for the individual disks)
  • StableBit Scanner. If it's installed, then DrivePool will pull information from StableBit Scanner. This includes the model number and serial number of the disks. As well as the customized "case" location (in Scanner, under "Disk settings", you can specify this information).
    This option has a "Case" and "location" setting. It allows for a lot of flexibility here. And it shows up in the tool tips in DrivePool.
  • By mounting the drives to a folder path (they won't show up in "My Computer" but in a path like C:\DrivePool\[case]\[drive])
    http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

Additionally, if you have both StableBit Scanner and StableBit DrivePool installed on the same system,  if Scanner detects damage on the disk, DrivePool will automatically move data off of the disk to help prevent data loss due to corruption/damage.

By default, this is only for "damage" (bad sectors), but you can enable it for SMART data as well.

Also, there is the option to do either for unduplicated data or duplicated data. 

Additionally, if you have Scanner installed, and you have notifications enabled, it will include the case and location information information in the notification.

I'm glad to hear it.

And definitely a small price to pay. It's saved a bunch of files on my personally system several times actually (caught at least two drives literally right before the failed... a day or two after moving all the data off).

And you are very welcome. If you need any clarifications there, or have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.