Beta 320 BSOD

akshoslaa

Question

Hi all,

Had a bluescreen yesterday morning. Everything came back without an issue - and has been fine since - but looking into the cause, seems covefs.sys tripped over.

windbg on the minidump yeilds: covefs+301a - KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139) A kernel component has corrupted a critical data structure.

memory.dmp uploading now - it's automatic, not kernel though - so not sure if it'll do you any good.

BSOD occured at 6:45 AM, no one was accessing the server at the time. Balancing kicks off at 2am, and backups at 8am.

7 answers to this question

I was getting a RASH of these same errors for several days.  Every few hours I'd get basically the same error.

After some futile efforts debugging it, I discovered one of my drives was going bad (bad sectors) before Scanner had caught it.  After pulling the drive (it ended up being 2), I haven't had a BSOD again.

Kinda surprised a failing drive could cause a BSOD, but that was def. the culprit.

Hi all,

Had a bluescreen yesterday morning. Everything came back without an issue - and has been fine since - but looking into the cause, seems covefs.sys tripped over.

windbg on the minidump yeilds: covefs+301a - KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139) A kernel component has corrupted a critical data structure.

memory.dmp uploading now - it's automatic, not kernel though - so not sure if it'll do you any good.

BSOD occured at 6:45 AM, no one was accessing the server at the time. Balancing kicks off at 2am, and backups at 8am.

Could you submit a ticket at http://stablebit.com/Contact

And use the form at the bottom of the following link to upload the memory dump:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes

I was getting a RASH of these same errors for several days.  Every few hours I'd get basically the same error.

After some futile efforts debugging it, I discovered one of my drives was going bad (bad sectors) before Scanner had caught it.  After pulling the drive (it ended up being 2), I haven't had a BSOD again.

Kinda surprised a failing drive could cause a BSOD, but that was def. the culprit.

If the problem was the circuit board (electrical failure), it can cause all sorts of issues.  Up to and including BSODs, or causing the system to hang on boot. That is why SMART data isn't 100% reliable (it depends on said board to be working 100%).  SMART *is* a good indicator of mechanical failure though. 

drashna, no, I was running 2.0.0.320 but had automatic updates checked. Weird that I didn't get alerted. Upgrading to 2.0.0.333_x64 from the main site and we'll see if it fixes the problem. If not, I'll open a ticket in the next day or so.