Flexraid tRaid with Drivepool?

Ultradianguy

Question

Hi - I've read the FAQ and various other posts about using Flexraid with Drivepool.  However, everything I've seen seems to be using Flexraid-F with snapshot raid.  I've installed the trial version of this, but because of activity in my pool, it requires a few hours of updates every day.  I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to use the transparent RAID Flexraid product.  I'm not terribly concerned about write performance.  However there don't seem to be any posts about the combination of tRAID, drivepool and scanner. 

Has anyone put this in place and if so, are there any issues?  Or is there some reason why tRAID won't work with Drivepool.

Thanks!

Michael

4 answers to this question

We have several posts talking about FlexRAID and the like, actually. These cover a lot of what you may want to know:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/52-faq-parity-and-duplication-and-drivepool/

As for the "few hours of updates" issue, that is most likely because of the balancing in StableBit DrivePool.

There are a couple options to help "fix" this issue. Specifically, either install the "Ordered File Placement" balancer. This fills up one drive at a time, and tries to keep the contents of each folder on the same disk.  This may help prevent it from needing to updated every day.

Otherwise, disabling the balancing options altogether.

As for the Transparent RAID option for FlexRAID, IIRC, that's a pooling solution that more deeply integrates with FlexRAID's other features. If so, then it may be easier to just use that. 

However, since I don't have a whole lot of experience with FlexRAID and it's various features, I'm not sure if you could use FlexRAID's Transparent RAID with DrivePool. Or if there would be any issues.

Hi CHristopher - thanks for the response.  Yes, I had read the links you posted.  But as I said, mostly people seem to use Raid over File system.  I was wondering if anyone out there is currently using Flexraid tRaid product which updates parity in real time rather than doing a periodic update.

In the meantime though I did install the ordered file placement balancer and will see if that changes anything.

Michael

As I said above, I don't have a lot of experience with FlexRAID, so I can't really be sure here.

If the tRAID is a block based solution, then it depends on HOW it stores the blocks. 

I can look into seeing if it will work, but it may be a few days or more before I can let you know.