Perfect Disk + Drivepool/Scanner?

thepregnantgod

Question

13 answers to this question

No, definitely not.

Actually, I'm using PerfectDisk Server on my Server 2012R2 Essentials box, and have for a while. Works fine with the pool.

Though, I'd recommend the "Performance Aggressive" option for hte pooled drives. That way, commonly used files are quicker, where less used files may be "further out" on the spindles and take a little more time to access.

One question regarding Perfectdisk : Do you think that its Optiwrite function can work with pooled drives?

Basicaly it would prevent fragmentation before it happens, but I am unsure if it can works with DrivePool "bypass file system filters".

For the Opti/Intelli-Write feature, yes, you'd want to disable the "Bypass File System Filters" option for the pool.  

Since the feature is controlled by a filter, bypassing it isn't exactly helpful here. 

In the newer builds, open up Pool options, open the "Performance" section and disable the option.

Let me know if I am wrong : if I disable "Bypass File System Filters" then my antivirus would scan x3 duplicates files/folders 3 time rather than only 1 time?

Mostly correct.  3 plus 1. Each duplicate and the file on the Pool. And if poorly designed, could impact performance.

If you're experiencing performance issues, either switch antivirus programs or exclude the Pool from being scanned or the PoolPart folders on each pooled disk.

I just got perfect disk 14 an can't fin the bypass filters option can you help me find it?

Also do I exclude the pool itself an defeat just the drives or exclude the drives an only defrag pool? I'm not sure how to configure this

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

if you're using the release (stable) version (2.1.1.561), this needs to be done in the advanced config file:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

Set "CoveFs_BypassNtfsFilters" to "False" and reboot the system.

Otherwise, anything newer, click on "Pool Options", open the "Performance" section, and it should be the bottom option.

I couldn't make this change i was told I didn't have permissions to make changes in this folder I needed to login as administrator. weird also because that is basically the only user I use.

Will not being able to make this change mess anything up for me? I have already installed perfectdisk

Ok I upgraded to 2.1.1.561. I am still having the same issue it says I don't have permissions to write to this area contact admin. 

Id be wiling to upgrade to 2.2 if I knew my data was safe.

Copy the file to the desktop, edit it, rename it, and then copy it back to the folder. 

That, or grab the attached file and place it in the folder (the only change is to the BypassNtfsFilters setting):

DrivePool.Service.exe.config

Sorry for the semihijack, but does anyone know of a defragger that works on volumes without drive letters? I don't assign pool drives a letter.

I'm not sure which can and which can't, but I know that Raxco's PerfectDisk does. I use it on my server and client PCs (Smart Server Bundle, specifically) and it works well.

But if you want to use the built in utility... just mount the drives to a folder path.  This will allow you to call the folder you mounted the disk, and not have the disk show up in the "My Computer/Computer/This PC" section.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

For instance, if you ahve a drive mounted to "C:\DrivePool\Disk1", you can run "defrag c:\drivepool\Disk1", and it will defrag it.