Integrate Drives/Server Pool from 2nd Server into 1st?

puulima

Question

Couldn't find this topic in the forums...not sure what to search for?

I have an existing Server with 8 x 2TB drives. I want to upgrade to larger drives (3's & 4's) so I setup a secondary server (had one kicking around) and installed 4 new (larger) drives, installed Drive Pool on server #2 and moved a ton of data from server #1 to server #2 - then I removed 2 drives from server #1.  

So can I pull the two empty/removed drives in server #1 and put in 2 of the new/larger ones from server #2 (with the moved data) and integrate them back into the existing pool on server #1?  Of will Drive Pool not recognize them?  (forcing me to move the data INTO the initial pool instead?).

I'm guessing the Server folders on the drives from server#2 may not be recognized, but if I add them to the pool on server #1 - will it create a NEW set of Server Folders - and I can just move the files from one server pool folder set to the other?

Obviously it would be great not to have to move the data across drives again - but I was thinking worse case - I pull the 2 removed drives from server#1 - put 2 new BLANK drives in and move (copy) data back from server #2 - but obviously that will take a lot more time.

Thoughts?  Thanks for your assistance...

ADDED NOTE:  Some of the folders on Server #2 are duplicated and some aren't - so wondering how that will impact whatever the best process is to merge these drives (data) into the Server #1 Pool?

24 answers to this question

If the drives that you are trying to add are empty, then you should remove them from the pool prior to moving them over. This lets StableBit DrivePool know that the these disks are in usage, and are available to add to a new pool.

Otherwise, if the drives are just pulled and moved to the new system, it will recognize them as pooled disks and create a new pool. Since this isn't what you want.... 

However, if there is data on these drives, then it makes it a lot trickier. And this sounds like it is the case here.

The simplest way would be to ... well, reverse the directions for seeding the pool, and then.... seed the pool:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Also, this will not be affected by the duplication status of the files. Though, you will definitely want to remeasure after doing this, so that it can reduplicate/unduplicate/recheck all the files after doing this.

I had found that posting and it sounded like it might be what I need to do.  

So basically I already have the "PoolPArt" folders on Server #2 - but when I move those drives over to the first server and add them to that pool - DrivePool will create NEW "PoolPart" folders...

So to clarify - once I STOP the DrivePool service and delete everything in C:\ProgramData\StableBitDrivePool.

I then reboot the server - which should start the service again on the reboot - correct?  The instructions in the post say to start the service again...will I need to if I reboot?

To clarify, a single volume can ONLY be part of one pool. You MUST remove it from the pool (or remove the PoolPart folder), to add it to an existing pool.

Additionally, if you connect the disk from the second pool to a system, it will see it as a different pool and create a new, second pool.

As for resetting the settings, rebooting the server will restart the service. Sorry for the confusion.

But to clarify further, you don't need to reboot the system during this entire process. Once the last disk in a pool is "removed" (manually or via the UI), the service will unmount and remove the pool. That is why you need to start the service back up, in this process.

ok, so since I already have PoolPart folders on these disks - adding them to the original server will create a second pool - so sounds like I should FIRST - move all the data on those drives OUT of the PoolPart folders BEFORE I connect those drives to the original server so that doesn't happen.  So technically - those drives become just like the ones used in this posting then?

Still not clear on your last statements above - I wasn't planning to REMOVE any disks on either server...was just going to move the disks from Server #2 over and add them to the original server pool and move the data into the original pool.  

it's not necessary, but it would be the simplest way, yes.

Once the folders are removed, restarting the service will cause DrivePool to re-check those drives and see that they're not part of a pool (anymore).

And what I mean by "removed" is that the contents are removed from the PoolPart folders and those folders are removed. This effectively removes the disk from a pool. 

Otherwise, yes, what you posted will work just fine:

ok, so since I already have PoolPart folders on these disks - adding them to the original server will create a second pool - so sounds like I should FIRST - move all the data on those drives OUT of the PoolPart folders BEFORE I connect those drives to the original server so that doesn't happen.  So technically - those drives become just like the ones used in this posting then?

Gotcha!  I understand what you mean now.  I had data on the second partition of the main drive (I shouldn't have added it to the pool initially)  - so I'm waiting on DrivePool to finish migrating that data over to one of the other drives (the drives I'll be physically moving back to Server #1).  Once that migration is done - I'll be moving the drives.  I'll report back if any questions but sounds like it should go fairly smoothly.

Thanks for the tips.

Well, I never got around to doing the above back in December...too much work/travel etc.  So I'm now going to attempt this.  But in thinking about it - since I don't plan to use the "old" DrivePool again on these drives or on the server they're coming from - can I just RENAME the "PoolPartxxx" folder to something generic like "Files" and then once those drives are added to the second server - and added to the DrivePool - then do the file moves?

I'm assuming it's ok to rename the old PoolPartxxx folders on the drives being moved into the second server.

Thanks!

What I've done is:

1) Create a folder "MasterPool" or similar name.

2) Move contents of all folders from the pool... hidden folder to the "MasterPool" folder.

3) Remove/delete the pool... folder

4) Add to new computer and add to pool

5) copy conents from "MasterPool" to the newly created hidden pool... folder.

6) Re-measure the pool.

So basically, just move the contents out of the pool. Delete the pool folder and then add to the new computer and recreate the new pool directory.  Then just move the folders back.  Then re-measure the pool.

Simple.

I guess stopping the DrivePool service ensures that DrivePool doesn't jump in and start balancing/duplicating while you're copying stuff in.  Thanks for the tips.

Other somewhat related question:  I have the BIOS on my HP server set to allow hot swapping of drives (standard BIOS doesn't allow) - so I'm assuming I should be able to add drives in real time w/o having to shut down and restart the server.  I will probably shut down to be safe though... 

I'm assuming it's ok to rename the old PoolPartxxx folders on the drives being moved into the second server.

Ideally, the folder should be deleted. There is some hidden metadata attached to the folder. To ensure that there are no issues, ... we do recommend removing it.

However, you could absolutely create a new folder, name it whatever you want, and move the contents of the PoolPart folder into this new folder.

I guess stopping the DrivePool service ensures that DrivePool doesn't jump in and start balancing/duplicating while you're copying stuff in.  Thanks for the tips.

Other somewhat related question:  I have the BIOS on my HP server set to allow hot swapping of drives (standard BIOS doesn't allow) - so I'm assuming I should be able to add drives in real time w/o having to shut down and restart the server.  I will probably shut down to be safe though... 

Yes, stopping the StableBit DrivePool Service prevents it from moving files around. Specifically balancing and "after the fact" duplication are controlled by the service. So stopping it prevents these tasks from occurring.

If AHCI and hot swapping is enabled, then yes, you can definitely do that.

However, I'd recommend using Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) on the server to set the disk as "offline" before removing it, to ensure all open file handles have been closed (so no data gets corrupted). 

Gotcha - perfect.

One last question...in the link provided above it says to move the files into the newly created \PoolPartxxx folder on the added drive.  But shouldn't I be moving the files into the \PoolPartxxx\ServerFolders\ folder?  IE: I have all my files from the old server in the original "ServerFolders" folder - and within the ServerFolders folder - they are saved in the SAME folder names as the existing Shares on the second server.  

Or do the instructions imply that?  I'm assuming If I move the entire "ServerFolders" folder into the new \PoolPartxxx folder - I should be set.   

Oh, additional last question.  On the new/second server - I turned of duplication for now on ALL folders (most are empty) - so I could remove some old drives and make room for new ones.  The data on the OLD drives being moved into the new server have Duplication turned on.

My assumption is that once I moved the Share folders / data into the "ServerFolders" folder (which as noted above I will need to create) on the newly added drive - and restart the DrivePool service - then DrivePool will start to delete the dupe files on the new drives?   I ultimately DO want those files to remain duplicated - so I'm thinking I should set duplication back to YES on the various folders BEFORE I restart the DrivePool service - so nothing will get deleted.

Does that make sense?

I'm hanging out waiting to confirm it's ok to create a "ServerFolders" folder in the newly added drive - in the \PoolPArtxxx folder before I start moving...hope to hear back tonight...

In addition to the 2 preceding posts - I was looking at the Dashboard and see that the new drive was added to the Pool, the size increased, the Pool tab shows the drive is part of the Pool - but in the "ServerFolders" tab - it shows the new drive - by Drive letter (E:\) as being a new ServerFolder? 

Under NAME it lists "E" - under LOCATION it lists 'E:\"

I don't understand why it's showing up there this way - never had a new drive added to the pool show up here?

Gotcha - perfect.

One last question...in the link provided above it says to move the files into the newly created \PoolPartxxx folder on the added drive.  But shouldn't I be moving the files into the \PoolPartxxx\ServerFolders\ folder?  IE: I have all my files from the old server in the original "ServerFolders" folder - and within the ServerFolders folder - they are saved in the SAME folder names as the existing Shares on the second server.  

Or do the instructions imply that?  I'm assuming If I move the entire "ServerFolders" folder into the new \PoolPartxxx folder - I should be set.   

The instructions assuming that you're using the existing folder structure.  So moving the contents of the root folder into the PoolPart folder effectively act like you've moved the contents direct to the other drive.  (eg moving \ServerFolder\files into the PoolPart folder on the drive will show up as \ServerFolder\files on the pool after doing this).

However, if the files are not in the specific folder structure you want, you can change them however you like. This includes creating a "ServerFolders" folder, if you want.  

But if you're using WHS2011, or Windows Server Essentials, then yes, it's best to use the "ServerFolders" layout.

Oh, additional last question.  On the new/second server - I turned of duplication for now on ALL folders (most are empty) - so I could remove some old drives and make room for new ones.  The data on the OLD drives being moved into the new server have Duplication turned on.

My assumption is that once I moved the Share folders / data into the "ServerFolders" folder (which as noted above I will need to create) on the newly added drive - and restart the DrivePool service - then DrivePool will start to delete the dupe files on the new drives?   I ultimately DO want those files to remain duplicated - so I'm thinking I should set duplication back to YES on the various folders BEFORE I restart the DrivePool service - so nothing will get deleted.

Does that make sense?

I'm hanging out waiting to confirm it's ok to create a "ServerFolders" folder in the newly added drive - in the \PoolPArtxxx folder before I start moving...hope to hear back tonight...

Yes, it makes sense. However, as part of the seeding guide, resetting the settings or remeasuring the pool will trigger a duplication pass. Additionally, we store the duplication settings on the pooled disks themselves, so these settings should be copied over, actually. However, definitely check them while the pool is measuring to make sure everything ends up the way you want.

In addition to the 2 preceding posts - I was looking at the Dashboard and see that the new drive was added to the Pool, the size increased, the Pool tab shows the drive is part of the Pool - but in the "ServerFolders" tab - it shows the new drive - by Drive letter (E:\) as being a new ServerFolder? 

Under NAME it lists "E" - under LOCATION it lists 'E:\"

I don't understand why it's showing up there this way - never had a new drive added to the pool show up here?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you grab a screenshot and attach it?

As a followup to the last posting - I'm assuming I can just remove the "E" entry from being a shared item to resolve this - although not sure how it showed up there in the first place.  The drive is listed as part of the pool and the total pool size definitely includes it.

Thanks for the help/

Definitely didn't share it manually  It was there as soon as I added the Drive to the pool.  Odd.

I stopped sharing and all is good.

Then you had it shared at one point, most likely. :)

Even though you may have removed the drive, the service that controls the shares "remembers" the old shares and will rebuild them as a soon as the path becomes available.  

Maybe you had an optical drive that had the same drive letter? Or you just wanted to temporarily share a folder over the network.  Who knows.

Gotcha...could be.  Definitely would not have filed that away for long term use ;-)

Thanks again.  I have both servers back up and running - pulling my old green 2TB's and replacing with Red 4 TB's...lots of room to grow now.

Gotcha...could be.  Definitely would not have filed that away for long term use ;-)

Thanks again.  I have both servers back up and running - pulling my old green 2TB's and replacing with Red 4 TB's...lots of room to grow now.

Yeah, the File Sharing stuff can be weird ..... Very.  I've actually done that myself, and it's the main reason I know that it can happen. 

And I'm glad to hear it!