DrivePool and SnapRAID

saiyan

Question

Does anyone here use SnapRAID to create parity data stored on hard drives in DrviePool's pool?

What kind of balancing strategy do you use? 

I imagine if I use a balancing strategy that move files around between different drives too often, I would need to run SnapRAID to sync parity data more often even if I don't update any data on those hard drives.

Thanks.

Thanks for the information.

After some more testing, I think turning off all balancing plug-ins is the best strategy if I want to use SnapRaid.

post-1513-0-04431300-1394655203_thumb.png

So I switched of all plugins, but what is with the settings on the balancing page? Hoe do you have to set them for use with SnapRAID?

(I know the screenshot is German, but the settings should be in the same place for all ;) )

Can you tell me, where the latest version of the script is? Or are the Dropbox Links from "Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:24 PM" http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/94-drivepool-and-snapraid/page-2&do=findComment&comment=3055 actual?

https://sourceforge.net/p/snapraid/discussion/1677233/thread/3afc8cb4/

In the last post in this Thread

Will you create a place where the lastet version of the script will be permanent access able? Together with a simple Change Log and a notice when it was last changed? So people can look there and compare if there is a newer version. Maybe introduce some sort of version number in the script. 

Hi,

I want to replace my Unraid Box and I am thinking about using Snapraid too. I'm also interested in pooling and Stablebit looks pretty good to me. But does Duplicating Folders make sense when I use snapraid too?

I really like the idea of pooling, having just one big directory with all my Movies from multiple harddrives, and the scanner from Stablebit seems pretty nice as well, but I have the feeling that with snapraid, having the same data on multiple drives might actually have a negative impact when it comes to deleting files and so on.

Also Therealjmc thanks for modifiying the script! I already posted on the snapraid forums and asked for advice on how to use it. For a newbie it would be great to include some best-practices / examples of scheduling and so on.

I realize this is an older thread, but its age is part of the reason I'm posting.

I'm considering a move from unraid to drivepool + snapraid, and I'm cruious if anybody has suffered a drive failure and how the recovery procedure went.  In theory, drivepool shouldn't care that it's a physically different drive as long as the contents are identical, but I'm curious if it works that well in practice.  Are there any special steps needed, or do you fire up the pool after the rebuild and it "just works"?  How long does the rebuild process take?  

I'm also curious how flexraid handles disk writes during it's snapshot process, but that's probably more of a question for the snapraid people.

Haven't had a drive failure so far but to be honest I only use drivepool for the pooling and nothing else. I've disabled all mover scripts and locked certain directories to certain disks. Still if I copy a file across I don't care to which harddrive it is saved and I only see the pooled drive in my explorer which is neat.

I've set up a script that calculates parity with snapraid during the night. If you write to the disk during that period it doesn't matter I think, but the new files will not be protected. You only have to be careful when deleting data (or moving to a different drive). I've tested the restore before I put any live on it and it worked fine.

So far I'm quite pleased with my setup. Unless I have to replace a broken drive however, I won't know for sure if everything is working as expected. Many tests in a VM showed good results though.

I like my current setup much more than unraid. You can look at some posts at atsoftware.de as well, which explain a bit more.

edit: found the correct link: http://atsoftware.de/2014/07/snapraid-and-drivepool-on-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials/

http://atsoftware.de/2014/07/homeserver-from-windows-to-linux-and-back-again/

So, what are the recommended settings for DrivePool + SnapRAID combo?

I purchased DrivePool after a few days of the trial (impressive!) can't afford full mirroring and SnapRAID seems the most popular parity for DrivePool. I'll be doing a fresh install of everything with empty drives, looking to get 5 data + 2 parity with the 5 data drives combined into 1 pool.

I would point the path to the drivepool folders. Take a look here:

http://sourceforge.net/p/snapraid/discussion/1677233/thread/a223522f/

Quote:

"Second, instead of running fix with the OLD PoolPart path, edit the config file to point to the NEW PoolPart path before running fix. Get that path by adding the new drive to DrivePool first. Then there's no cut/paste or moving of files from one folder to another after the fix. You should not create PoolPart folders manually, especially duplicate folders on the wrong drives! DrivePool doesn't like that and can cause conflicts."

Running the config with the poolpart folders seems a lot easier imho

Hello all,
I have Snapraid configured with Drivepool like many of you. I have a drive that needs replacing, so before doing that I did some googling to make sure I had the procedure correct. I found a very helpful guid for drive replacement here: https://sourceforge.net/p/snapraid/discussion/1677233/thread/a223522f/?page=1

I had a question about my snapraid conf file. In reading through that thread, I see that the recommendation for the "disk" lines in the conf file is as follows:

disk d1 c:\mount\disk1\PoolPart.xxxxxx

disk d2 c:\mount\disk2\PoolPart.yyyyyy

(etc through d5 in my case)

This varies from how I set mine up. What I did:

disk d1 W:\

disk d2 V:\

(etc through d5 in my case)

So after reading this post:

https://sourceforge.net/p/snapraid/discussion/1677233/thread/a223522f/#618e/242b

by Quaraxkad I see that the way I set it up, while not technically wrong, is cumbersome.

What I'm wondering is how I can re-configure snapraid to use the recommended method. Do I have to unmount all my disks from their drive letters and remount them under the C: drive? Would that cause snapraid to have to rebuild parity from scratch? What's the least dangerous way to proceed here?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.