DiskCryptor and Scanner = NTFS goes RAW

Wax7

Question

i am now using Scanner on two systems (WIn8.1 x64 & Win7 x64). 

and on both systems i am running Diskcryptor since some time.

now i have had this, that Diskcryptor mounts my drives but the Drives are RAW. (after reboot)

First i was like, ok something gone wrong with DiskCryptor but after  i installed the Scanner on my 2. System (win7 x64) i have the same Error, it can be a error between the use of Diskcryptor and the Scanner.

1. I testet my Drives with Victoria and the Drives are all OK. no Problens on the Controllers..

2. i Formatet my Cryptet Drives and copied some Data to it.

3. i rebootet many times ...

.. but no error.

after 2 Weeks i rebootet for Updates. 

( in this Time Window the Scanner worked of corse)

now my drives are RAW. ( 6 Drives )

.... after decrypting one Drives and reboot the drive is back to normal NTFS without Errors. (it takes long for 3TB to decrypt)

any clous?  Surface test interupps Disk acces or DIrect I/O interfers with the Drivers.....?

5 answers to this question

No, there shouldn't be any interaction between the two products. They should work fine.

Specifically StableBit Scanner will throttle (or stop) scans if the disk is being accessed.

It is possible that there is an interactin between the surface scanner, and how DiskCryptor works.

Aside for installing both, encrypting a disk and letting it sit... are you able to force this to happen?

Unfortunately, I was not able to reproduce the issue that you saw.

However, with DiskCryptor, every reboot caused the drives to show up as "RAW" and required "mounting" them manually. Every reboot. With and without StableBit Scanner installed.  Though, I didn't enable the auto-mount option (nor did I really see one).

And StableBit Scanner shouldn't be doing anything that should impact DiskCryptor. It makes SMART queries and reads the disk infomation. This shouldn't trigger any issues here. But once every 30 days (by default) it does the surface scan. But this isn't file system aware... It scans each sector and makes sure it's readable. 

i can reproduce the error but does not know who i do...  just working on the Drive for 24 Hours and reboot. WIndows 8.1 and Win7 x64. 

From what I saw, rebooting always causes the drives to show up as RAW, no matter what else is installed. 

Though, as I said, I was not using an auto-mount option (didn't see one). 

And I'm glad to hear that BitLocker is working much better for you.