WHS 2011 backs up twice in same day

Jackietools

Question

I'm running WHS 2011 with DrivePool. Using a 240GB SSD for O/S and two 2TB WD Green for storage. I used WHS 2011 previously without Drivepool and never had this problem. My PC is backing up twice in same time period between 1200 AM -0600 AM. Is there asetting in DrivePoll that causes this? Thanks

17 answers to this question

Nope, that seems weird to me. I doubt it is due to DrivePool but I have now clue what it could be. If it does not occur anymore without you deleting the old backups then I'd leave it as is. I expect Drashna to chime in to verify it is not DP related. Otherwise, you might want to go to http://forum.wegotserved.com and ask there.

Looking at the date info though, could it be that the first backup on the 8th actually started the 7th, close to midnight, and ended the eigth?

no not from the dashboard, remote in to the server using the "remote desktop connection" from a PC on your network, or not on your network if you can, and from the server's desktop, go to start menu, administrative tools. server backup, and on the right pane, click backup schedule, you'll find more options here than under the backup wizard in the WHS 2011 dashboard. 

To clarify, this is for the Client Computer Backup, and for a specific PC in question.

As for the issue, this is most likely just a "timing" issue.

Since the PCs backup at different times each night, in the same window.... it maybe that which is causing the issue.

Changing the backup window should fix the issue. 

It also could be a bug with the task scheduler (which is what kicks off the client backups). 

If the issue persists after changing the backup window, let us know.

Ugh, the files are tiny and hard to read....

It looks like the tasks are fine.

Just out of curiousity, if you try to run the restore, do you see both sets? If so.... try disabling the backup, reboot the server and client, and then re-enable.

As for the Add-In install... this is for "pushing" client add-ins to the connected PCs. Such as for WHS2011 Media Collector, or LightsOut. Both of which have a client side installers. This task pings the server, checks and then will install them, if needed.

I'll see about getting the upload limit increased (or feel free to use dropbox or the like and link the image).

Not sure what to tell you. If it comes back, let me know. But hopefully, it stays working properly.

Also, just to make sure here: the client back up is a single instance storage engine. That means that additional backups don't take up additional space.