Files being corrupted

Shu

Question

I have a drivepool setup that I use for my lightroom catalog. I have found an issue with my photos being corrupted (video example attached). 

Originally, I thought this might be a hardware issue with one of my HDDs but I've since expanded my pool with more drives and this particular file lives on the newer drive and it still happens. You can see the file opens up just fine for a second or two but then updates to an un-readable version (or something...). What's also curious is how this updated, corrupted version appears to be in landscape mode as opposed to the original being in portrait. 

In lightroom, I build previews during import and the previews don't seem to be affected (hosted on C drive) but when I go in to edit the original photo, the corrupted version appears. 

If it helps, my drivepool has 12 drives (10 archive HDDs and 2 cache SSDs).

edit: I'm not sure if the video I uploaded works....here's an imgur link to the same (https://imgur.com/a/4dYYgbA)

edit_2: I also should mention that StableBit Scanner is reporting all disks as healthy. 

2 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Jonibhoni said:

Just out of curiousity:
Does the problem still appear if you disable Read Striping (Manage Pool -> Performance -> Read striping)?
And do you have an anti virus software active that checks files on access?

I once had an issue with the combination of both.

It's a bit hard to test since my pool has changed a bit since posting (I removed two drives and the list of corrupted files and which drive they are on is no longer accurte). I don't have any anti-virus software (other than windows defender); it's a fairly barebones windows install on a dedicated media machine. 

Unfortunately, I've had this issue with corrupted files for a while now and the pain has pushed me towards trying a different solution (unraid...). I do still appreciate drivepool and I use it on my main PC (a 4-ssd pool). If I encounter corrupted files on my main PC, I'll come back to the thread and do some more testing. 

If it helps, I attached a graph of my 13-drive pool and which disks had corrupted vs okay files ("clear" files). The bars are labeled with RPM/cache-size-in-mb (though, for one drive, I couldn't find info on cache size). There are 57 data points (57 corrupted files that I looked through, there were others but it was a pain to do more). In order, the size of the drives are: 8tb, 4tb, 4tb, 4tb, 4tb, 3tb, 3tb, 3tb, 2tb, 1tb, 1tb (there are only 11 here as the 2 others are my SSDs). Also, I said 12 drive pool in the first post, I forgot a drive - it's 13.

1304999508_Sheet1.thumb.png.27892b178a14f4a8a7a7a6410212e684.png