Scanner support for SAS drives?

kihimcarr

Question

I just received my Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB Enterprise HUS723030ALS640 and Scanner does not display all of the SMART data (i.e. temp, age). Unsafe is disabled and working properly because my other SATA drives display all of the data properly connected to my Highpoint 2760A card, which has a Marvell chipset. Lastly, Scanner completed a scan on the drive and I restarted the Scanner service to see if the SMART info would display properly. The result: When scanner came back up, the drive showed as not scanned and began the scan process all over again. This is the only Drive with a SAS interface in my system. The other 21 drives are SATA interface. All drives are connected to my 24-port RAID card.

My question is, is Scanner compatible with SAS drives? or is there some known issue with these Hitachi Enterprise Drives and Scanner?

5 answers to this question

That's a good question.

In theory, it shouldn't matter at all. 

Could you use StableBit Scanner to submit the SMART data (submit to bitflock).

Also, how is this drive connected, specifically?

And has the disk been initialized yet?

Additionally, could you check to see if the disk has a "signature" in the "Disk Details" section? This is the main way that we keep track of a disk, so if there is a unique signature here, it should remember.

And do you mean that the "Unsafe" option for DirectIo is checked? 

If it's not, could you check/enable the option and see if that helps?

See my replies inline below:

That's a good question.

In theory, it shouldn't matter at all. 
Could you use StableBit Scanner to submit the SMART data (submit to bitflock). [i do not see this option because I do not have the option to select SMART details for this drive. This is what leads me to believe Scanner is not compatible with this drive.]

Also, how is this drive connected, specifically? [it is connected using a SAS/SATA backplane in a Norco 4224 case.]
And has the disk been initialized yet? [Yes, as GPT and formatted.]

Additionally, could you check to see if the disk has a "signature" in the "Disk Details" section? This is the main way that we keep track of a disk, so if there is a unique signature here, it should remember. [There is a disk signature in the "Disk Details"]

And do you mean that the "Unsafe" option for DirectIo is checked? [This option is already checked. I had to check this inorder for Scanner to work with my Highpoint card.]
If it's not, could you check/enable the option and see if that helps?

SAS_Drive_No_SMART.jpg

Well, do you have the web management software installed on the system?

If not, then please see about installing it:

http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_Driver/HRM/Win/WebGUI_Win-v2.1.5.13.0415.zip

The webUI should be able to see the SMART data from the disk, if it is passing it along. If it is, let us know. If it's not, then the SAS drive may not be passing on SMART data at all (either by design, or because it got turned off in the firmware).

Worst case, use the DirectIo Test tool.

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/36-how-to-contribute-test-data/

Use the "Specific Method" option, and cycle through the methods until you get one that lights up the "SMART Attributes" option in either the WMI or DirectIO section. Then click on the ellipse ("...") button to make sure that it's actually displaying SMART data.

Hey Chris- Thanks for the reply. I do have the current release of the Web Management tool installed. I mentioned in my original post that it does see the SMART data. Since I was having the duplication and pool issues, I just ended up returning the drive for a SATA model and that works fine. I was already spending cycles figuring out the pool issue and didn't have the free cycles for this one. Next time I buy a SAS drive I'll try what you've posted here. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.