Balance marks explanation

Carsten

Question

I still have problem to understand the state of the pool and the balance marks.

1) When I have a mixture of duplicated and unduplicated folders in the pool, how do I now that the duplication is complete (i.e. all files which should be duplicated are indeed duplicated)?

2) I have two drives in the pool (see atttachment)

Over the unduplicated files there is a mark showing -38,6GB. The other drive has + 38,6GB. What does this mean. Does it try to move 38,6GB from one drive to the other?

post-1784-0-53807700-1416820467_thumb.png

1 answer to this question

The arrows are the "target" for balancing. How much it wants to move to or out of the drive.

As for the duplication, that's part of why you want to reset the settings when seeding a drive. It will force a duplication pass. This pass is handled by the Service, and scans all the files to make sure that they are properly duplicated (either copying files or deleting copies, depending on the settings). 

Also, if the driver notices files that are not duplicated properly, or that have "mismatched contents", it will flag the service for "correction".

If you see red/orange arrows, these are the "real time placement limits", meaning that it can only places files on the drive up to that limit. You don't normally see these unless unless there is an issue with a disk (Scanner), or have an optional balancer installed.