Raid 0

Bluetac

Question

Can anyone give me advice on the following please

I have recently finished building my new server  (windows server essentials 2012 R2) i have the following drives

a 120 gig samsung 850 pro for the os

4x 3 tb WD red drives for server backup/client backup with 2 being used for data drives for shares.

3 x 2 tb as a pool for media

i would like to if possible create one large disc in a kind of raid 0 with the 3 2tb drives or use it like that.

All the drives are connected on sata 6 to the onboard conctroller on the motherboard, i am not that fussed about duplication on these drives as the important stuff is on the other two, i also have a usb 3 drives for the off site backups.

i have installed the trial of drive pool and added the 3 drives to it, but now i see 6 drives 3 labeld drive pool 3 new disc.
 i was under impression (most likely wrongly) that it would show up as one large pool?

Can anyone shed any light on what i may have done wrong please

Many thanks

Doug

3 answers to this question

Bluetac,

It sounds like you may have accidently added each drive to a new pool.  If you rapidly clicked on the "Add" from the UI, it could do this.

Remove all but one of the disks from the pool. Once that's done, then add them. This should add the disks to the one pool.

It should look like this:

What the pool should look like.png

Bluetac,

It sounds like you may have accidently added each drive to a new pool.  If you rapidly clicked on the "Add" from the UI, it could do this.

Remove all but one of the disks from the pool. Once that's done, then add them. This should add the disks to the one pool.

It should look like this:

attachicon.gifWhat the pool should look like.png

that was exactly what i wanted thank you, I had pbviously added the drives too fast and created 3 pools, this time i have waited and then added them back in and it worked :)

i take it i just move the all the folders to the new pool drive and they share the data accross the drives?

Yeah, I had a feeling. :)

As for the data, I'm not exactly sure what you mean there, or where your data is already located.

However, we do have a "seeding" guide, which may be what you are looking for (or give you enough of an idea to do what you want):

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489