Avast killed my client DP viewer

blueman2

Question

Running latest version of Avast and it comes up showing c:\program files\stablebit\drivepool\drivepool.comm.dll as "Win32:Evo-gen[susp]".  I turned Avast off, but now I can no longer see my server.  I can only see the client (which of course has nothing since there is no license on the client).  

Anyone else see this?  I will try a re-install to see if that solves it.  

7 answers to this question

/sigh...

Chances are, that it quarantined the file. :(

Notice the 'comm' part of the file name. You can probably guess what this does.

Try rebooting the server and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then yes, please uninstall and reinstall DrivePool to fix this (or run the "repair" option).

Additionally, if you want to, try downloading the latest beta version.

We've started signing all of our files, in the hopes that it will reduce the (high) number of false positives from virus scanners like Avast.

Also, what OS is this, and what version of DrivePool?

This is on my Win 7 64 bit client.  Running latest 2x version of DP.  Note, my Server which actually runs DP does not use Avast, so no problems there.  Just clients I use to monitor and adjust DP.  

I reinstalled, but Avast killed it again.  I have Avast set to ask me what to do when it finds a suspicious file, but oddly it does not give the 'ignore' option, just delete/quarantine/fix.  I ended up putting the entire Stablebit directory as an exclusion, reinstalled again, and now all is well.  Damn Avast.  They should always the user to "Ignore".  

How do I access the beta?  I will give that a try just for testing if it helps.  

Yeah, unfortunately Avast isn't great about actually allowing files... I've seen this a few times in the past, and it's frustrating every time.

As for the beta's, they're always here:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/

Newest are at the bottom. And you'll need to install it on both the server and the client.

Well, Avast is up to its nastiness again.  It killed my ability to run DP on my remote system once again.  So I decided to add back the exclusion for the c:\program files\stablebit\drivepool\ directory, turned off Avast while doing a re-install, and turned Avast back on.  All is working fine again now.  

Last time the file was drivepool.comm.dll, but this time it was DrivePool.Service.exe.  Oh well, I will just leave the directory excluded for now on.  

I am running Beta 2.2.0.572_x64 on my client.  The server as always is running fine (no Avast there!).  

No action needed, I just wanted to report in case others get this problem.