Server Backup and Stablebit Scanner

DrParis

Question

Hello there,

I am using the register Scanner v2.5.1.3062 under Windows Server 2012 R2 x64, running some HyperV VMs.

Whenever Windows Server Backup performs backups (during the Shadow Copy phase I think), I get lots of errors in the Windows logs like this:

Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\Harddisk10\DR11'.  This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot.  The final status was 0xC03A001C.

The Harddisk and volume numbers keep changing, and do not correspond to a real HDD in my setup.

From what I read, WSB temporarily mounts virtual drives to perform backups.

Those errors (~ 10 per backup) are raised by the process Scanner.Service.exe from Stablebit Scanner.

I suspect that the Scanner sees those virtual drives, and tries to check them, but fails as 1. the drives are virtual 2. they are suddenly unmounted by WSB.

Finally I get 2 errors from Stablebit Scanner:

Error report file saved to:

C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\Service\ErrorReports\ErrorReport_2014_11_17-06_12_38.1.saencryptedreport

Exception:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at ScannerServiceLib.Info.SmartDiskInfo.#pt()
   at ScannerServiceLib.Info.SmartDiskInfo.#MS()
   at CoveUtil.ReportingAction.Run(Action TheDangerousAction, Func`2 ErrorReportExceptionFilter)

Exception:

CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter+ReporterLogException: {reporter_exception}
   at CoveTroubleshooting.Reporter.ThrowLogReportN(Exception TheException, Object[] TheParams)
   at CoveUtil.ErrorReporting..(Exception )

All of this does not seem very harmful, but is really annoying.

Is there a way to avoid those errors?

Thanks ;)

11 answers to this question

How many drives do you have in the system?

If it's ~10, I wouldn't be surprised. :)

And yeah, it sounds like this is WSB that is the culprit here. A good question is, is this occurring during the backup window for the server?

However, could you upload the Error Reports to us, just in case?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_for_Windows_Error_Reports

And yeah, it sounds like this is WSB that is the culprit here. A good question is, is this occurring during the backup window for the server?

Hi Christopher,

To answer to your question, and like I say at the beginning of my post, yes this happens during the backup window.

I think this happens when WSB temporarily mounts the shadow copies or whatever to perform the incremental backup.

But, even if WSB is the trigger, the culprit remains Stablebit Scanner. The process logged for the error is Scanner.Service.exe not WSB.

So the fix cannot come from doing anything with WSB to me, it must come from Stablebit Scanner by preventing those virtual disks to be checked.

I will upload the error reports asap, as I am currently facing other issues with Drivepool failing to balance and to access duplicated files :/

Hi there,

Any news on the topic?

Today my WSB crashed completely...

Error reported in the event log, and impossible to open wbadmin.

I had to hard reboot the server, as a soft reboot did not complete (in the logs it was blocked by a WSB process).

I have no guarantee that this comes from my problem with SbScanner, but as it is the only one for which I have reported errors in the event log...

I believe I answered this in your ticket, but I'll answer it here as well.

The first error, the "SmartInfo" one seems to be a timing error, IIRC. As in the drive is gone before we (Scanner) finish querying for data. 

As for the WSB stuff... is this happening often? If so, stop the StableBit Scanner service and set it's startup type to "manual" (both can be done from "services.msc", or the Services link in Administrator tools.

If this stops happening when you disable the StableBit Scanner service, let us know.

I posted here before getting your answer to my ticket.

WSB mounts and unmounts the virtual drives very fast I think, because I have set the backup to be incremental so sometimes there is nothing to copy.

Regarding stopping SScanner... mhh, I bought this tool so that it constantly monitors the smart infos on my disks, so it would not be a solution to me.

I can try it for a week just to check if the problem is gone (which I suspect will be the case isn't it?)

Sorry, I only meant to temporarily disable the service. As the entirety of StableBit Scanner is that service, it would be a clear way to verify the issue. If you were having issues otherwise, then that would be a way to make sure that Scanner isn't the cause or compounding the issue. (meaning, strictly to troubleshoot the issue).

Also, could you do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

Well, most of it. Enable the advanced settings.

Then under the logging section. find "SmartDiskInfo", select it and select "Verbose".

Find the "DiskInfo" and do the same.

Let it run, and do a backup. Then grab the contents of "C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\" and upload them to the ticket.

Hi there,

My backups are scheduled every two days at 6am.

This morning, automatic backup with SScanner service deactivated and... went perfectly, no error at all in the Windows logs.

Ok, that was kind of obvious as the errors report SScanner Service as the faulty process, but here is the confirmation.

I will now reactivate the service with advanced logs, and update them asap.

Hi,

I have posted the detailed logs to the ticket.

Aside from the errors in the event logs, I experienced recently a complete WSB crash requiring a system hard reboot.

Even if I have no guarantee that it is related, the only errors I get in the event logs are related to this problem.

So for now, I will deactivate SScanner until a solution is found.