supermicro saslp-mv8 false smart data

rogercoutts

Question

Been having a problem with scanner since trying it. Im running WS2012E R2. All the drives connected to the motherboard work fine but the ones connected to my supermicro saslp-mv8 controller give smart errors for 1 or 2 seconds at random times. This causes scanner to empty the drive even though the drive is fine. I have seen it when this happens, scanner will sudenly say the drive is failing it triggers an evacute then the smart data returns to normal. Is this a known issue with this controller or is there something I can do to fix this.

Thanks

Roger 

3 answers to this question

This happens sometimes, especially when using the "WMI" method to query SMART data. 

Enable the "NoWmi" option in SMART, to see if it fixes the issue.

To do so, open up Scanner, click on "Settings" in the toolbar, and select "Scanner Settings". In the "General" tab (the one opened by default), find the "Show advanced settings and troubleshooting" option and enable it. Hit "Ok".

Then click on the "Settings" button, and select the new "Advanced Settings and troubleshooting" option. Open the "Configuration Properties" tab.

Find the SMART section, and there should be a "NoWmi" checkbox. Check/tick it, and hit "OK". Now reboot the server, or restart the StableBit Scanner service (run "services.msc" on the server, find the service and restart it).

If that doesn't fix the issue, let us know.

I'm glad to hear that seems to have fixed the issue then.

As for the random reboot's... that definitely concerns me. 

I'd recommend checking the crash dumps from system. You can download "WhoCrashed", and run that. It may give you a good idea what's causing the crashes (if they are BSODs).

Aside from that, run a memory test, just in case.