cpu for drivepool/scanner

Ryo

Question

hi all im rebuilding my fileserver / media server and im thinking of going intel. my main reason is I have the file server and then I have 3 laptops accessing it. will the cpu in the server make a difference on how quickly I can balance my pool and also how quickly I can run scanner? im thinking of rebuilding with a socket 1150 Celeron to start and then upgrade as I can afford.

Is it worth water cooling the xeon 1246v3 considering im not overclocking it. I was looking at the corsair hydro H80i water cooling system with corsair link for a more quiet operation... Or is the stock fan quiet enough.

I used the stock fan for a day.... I had a very nice Noctua C-14 that I bought for the AMD CPU i was using. Since that burned (literally)... I reused the heatsink. 

However, the stock fan is fairly quite if it's not spun up all the way... but as I rarely use more than 25% load, even with 10VMs running!.... the stock fan should be fine.

However, if you want to water cool, there shouldn't be any issues with that. :)

im looking at a possible supermicro board model MBD-X10SL7-F-O I like it cause it has 4 sata 2 3.0gb/s and 2 sata 3 6.0gb/s + 8 sas2 6.0gb/s from an onboard LSI 2308 card... my ? is Are the sas2 ports using standard sata cables because they look like it from pics. my only issue with this board is that I would have to buy a kit of ecc ram .. no big issue though..

in conclusion do I get the supermicro or the gigabyte z97 that uses standard ddr 3 ram...

im looking at a possible supermicro board model MBD-X10SL7-F-O I like it cause it has 4 sata 2 3.0gb/s and 2 sata 3 6.0gb/s + 8 sas2 6.0gb/s from an onboard LSI 2308 card... my ? is Are the sas2 ports using standard sata cables because they look like it from pics. my only issue with this board is that I would have to buy a kit of ecc ram .. no big issue though..

in conclusion do I get the supermicro or the gigabyte z97 that uses standard ddr 3 ram...

Yes, SATA cables should work on this just fine. 

The type of SAS is interchangeable with SATA, so you should be fine.

As for ECC... It's not necessary. I'm using G.SKILL Ares RAM in my server, and it works just fine. But ECC is better, if you have the option. More stable.

another ? on that supermicro board is does the sas2 ports support being connected to that intel 24 port raid expander card drashna showed me?

I'm not sure, honestly.

You would need a reverse breakout cable to hook it up. 

THis is a question you should direct at SuperMicro, actually. They may have a better answer than "maybe" for you.

will my fractal design node 804 be ok for the supermicro board?

yes. the "uATX" form factor of the motherboard is another way to say "Micro ATX". Or it's supposed to be.

From the listed dimensions, it should work fine. Though, if you're concerned, contact Fractal Design and inquire. :)

and ccan I stick with a standard atx power supply like the corsair series im looking at

Yup, absolutely. I'm using a OCZ 1050W power supply for my server, actually. No issue with doing so, other than maybe a bit of a cable nightmare in my rackmount (but that may be my OCD).

So I called Gigabyte and supermicro... supermicro was great and said u can use up to over 200+ drives with revese breakout cables and backplanes. but had no clue about the expander card...

Gigabyte said they think im better off with the Z97 board because its a newer chipset. and ecc ram is not needed.. O by  way supermicro said ECC is a must.

its a hard call because I love both boards.. and now Microsoft is giving people a free upgrade to win 10 from 7 or 8.1

my ? now is what board do I upgrade to...

my wife ok'd the supermicro board MBD-X10SL7-F-O  with the xeon 1246v3 and 16gb (2x8gb crucial ecc ram) and a 6TB WD red Also getting 3 x 4 way sata power splitters (hoping to neaten case up and have enough power for hdd and sytem. will my 650 watt be enough to use the xeon and this board... will be using onboard graphics if I stick with this board.

I will be upgrading power supply at later date

Be careful when using splitters I've seen People daisy chain 12 drives of 1 rail and wonder why their drives kept dropping out personally i never use more than 4 drives on any single rail then if a psu problem does occur the loss will be minimal but that's my personal preference

my wife ok'd the supermicro board MBD-X10SL7-F-O  with the xeon 1246v3 and 16gb (2x8gb crucial ecc ram) and a 6TB WD red Also getting 3 x 4 way sata power splitters (hoping to neaten case up and have enough power for hdd and sytem. will my 650 watt be enough to use the xeon and this board... will be using onboard graphics if I stick with this board.

I will be upgrading power supply at later date

Glad to hear it! :)

And yes, the 650W power supply should be more than plenty. 

If it makes you feel any better, my UPS reports 140-150W load most of the time for my server. That's with 14xHDDs, 2xSSD, similar processor and 3x LSI cards.  

Be careful when using splitters I've seen People daisy chain 12 drives of 1 rail and wonder why their drives kept dropping out personally i never use more than 4 drives on any single rail then if a psu problem does occur the loss will be minimal but that's my personal preference

This. Also it maybe a good idea to buy a power supply tester and make sure that all of the connections work properly as well.

Specifically, don't connect a splitter to a splitter ever. ANd try to even out the cables that you do use to even out the load.

board can be used without raid with a flash

The LSI (RAID) controller should let you pass on the disks to the system without a) flashing it, B) using a RAID array. 

So you shouldn't need to flash the controller at all.

I also found another supermicro board model  MBD-X10-SLH-F-O  this board has 6 sata 3 6.0gb/s ports and no lsi card but 1 pci 16 3.0 and 1 pci 8 3.0 and 1 pci 2.0 4x in an 8 slot.. so buying the lsi card later and adding a 24 port multiplyer would work better on this board..

this is also within buget..

im allowed 900 for my board cpu ram and HDD

Thinking 16gb  crucial (2x8gb sticks) and aa 6 TB red drive to grow my pool...

is there a real gain with super micro boards or am I better off with the Gigabyte GA-Z97MX.. I no I keep debating but I want a 24/7 server for storage via my drivepool and movie/music streaming to my laptops....if the gaming board will do I would rather save the cash toward more parts like power supply or liquid cooler or a 2nd 6TB

OK, I run my server 24/7/366 for shares/client backups/torrent/streaming/Rosetta@HOME. I run all this on about the cheapest MB I could find, an ASRock B75-Pro3M. It's been going steady for 1 year and 2 weeks now.

The _only_ thing I can imagine it would bring possibly is stability/longevity. As an anecdotal example, my first server build was using an ASRock H67M-GE. After slightly over 18 months, it started crashing and it turned out it suffered from a cascading USB port malfunction (they'd go kaputt one after the other) which was an issue as I used the USB ports for Server Backup (and I still suspect it is what has killed the USB ports, all that I/O). But he, that's the risk you have with a cheapo MB (on thew other hand, you run that risk with any MB, it's just that I expect Supermicro to have a smaller chance of such things happening).

In short, I do not think you're better of with a more expensive MB. IMHO< you need to look at functionality you'll use: SATA ports, PCIE slots, memory slots and that's basically it. Other than that, any cheapo should do.

And I am not even sure you'd need 16GB. I have 8 but I run 8 Rosetta Threads as well which take between 3 and 4.5GB. Never an issue.

getting xeon 1246v3, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5 micro atx mobo, 3 4way startech power splitters for sata power, 1 artic silver 5 thermal compound, 1 aric silver articlean thermal material remover and surface purifier, 1 set Gskill Trident 2x8GB ddr 3 1600 ram..1 WD 6TB hard drive.

with 3 day ship and rush processing should have it by Wednesday or Thursday... cant wait...

hope this will be a decent upgrade to my server...

Going from an AMD FX-8120 to the Intel Xeon E3-1245v3 was a big jump in performance and responsiveness, so a lower end CPU to a the Xeon will be great as well.

Also, if the old system was using a HDD for the system disk and th if the new system is using a SSD for the system disk, that will make a HUGE difference as well.

And yeah, the supermicro boards are very nice. One of the other advantages is that pretty much all of them support out of band management (OOBM) of some sort or another. Which means you don't need to hook up a monitor and keyboard to them EVER (well, initially to configure this stuff, but after that... OOBM allows for BIOS/firmware access remotely :) )

But either way, that gigabyte board looks like a very good choice as well.