cpu for drivepool/scanner

Ryo

Question

hi all im rebuilding my fileserver / media server and im thinking of going intel. my main reason is I have the file server and then I have 3 laptops accessing it. will the cpu in the server make a difference on how quickly I can balance my pool and also how quickly I can run scanner? im thinking of rebuilding with a socket 1150 Celeron to start and then upgrade as I can afford.

ok I did another test I can play music from my usb 2.0 external hard drive connected to the server. just cant play anything from the pool...my worst ear is ill lose both 1 TB drives at same time... im running all drives through scanner...

I lost the wd red drive again... waiting to rma it with wd

having a very weird hard drive issue? I have about 200gb of music on my drivepool and if I try to play anything off the pool I get an error stating the drive is "in use" if I copy the album to my local hard drive it plays fine... any ideas

please tell my im not loosing my entire pool of drives

Enable file system logging and reproduce the error. Then open a ticket (https://stablebit.com/Contact) and we'll take a look.

ALso, could see about playing the file directly from the disk (from the PoolPart folders in question, which may take some digging).

Also, do you have any antivirus or disk imaging tools installed?

In fact, do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2159701

To be honest, I'm not a fan of cloud anything. I like having everything hosted locally, and accessible.

As for a cloud solution, you're referring to "StableBit CloudDrive". As for more details, unfortunately, you'll have to wait on details for that.

However, we will have a nice long blog post about what it is and how it works. 

hey guys im considering my new board and cpu (loving the xeon V3 1275 socket 1150. my ? is will 16 pci express lanes be enough for the lsi 8 port sata 3.0 raid card and down the road possibly an intel 24 port expander card or will I need a chip with more lanes like these new 28 lane and 40 lane I7 monsters on socket 2011 V3

anyone here understand pci express lanes? xeon I want supports 16 lanes and my new system will run onboard graphics from the xeon then I need 8 lanes for main lsi raid card and 4 lanes for intel 24 port expander card if and when I get it..

hey guys im considering my new board and cpu (loving the xeon V3 1275 socket 1150. my ? is will 16 pci express lanes be enough for the lsi 8 port sata 3.0 raid card and down the road possibly an intel 24 port expander card or will I need a chip with more lanes like these new 28 lane and 40 lane I7 monsters on socket 2011 V3

Yes.

Wikipedia has a nice article, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

But to summarize, your board is likely using PCI Express 2.0. So I'm going to assume that. If it uses 3.0, then ... well DOUBLE everything! :)

A PCI Express 2.0 8 lane (8x) card is capable of supporting 4GB/s of transfer speed. 

What does that mean? That means you can max out the throughput of roughly 35 HDDs (spinners) (assuming about 120MB/s per drive)

This is a SUSTAINED 120MB/s on the disk. However, in real usage, you'll see maybe 20-30MB/s read from a disk or three when streaming content. Maybe more when you're ripping (which in case, the SSD Optimizer may be a good way to go!).

Also, 120MB/s is an over estimate. Depending on the drive, you may not see close to that, which means you can run more drives without risking bottlenecking.

However, this is MORE than enough bandwidth to support 24 drives in your system with an expander card.

In fact, you could have one card, and two expanders and still be fine.

And if it makes you feel any better, I need to get an expander card and sell off two of my M1015's because I didn't know about this nor realize this until later.

the board im looking at purchasing will have 3 pci express 16 slots if I get the gigabyte or 2 pci express 16 slots if I get the MSI... I prefer msi because they last along time for me my current board is an MSI 880GMA-E45 socket AM3 and im only changing because it has only 1 pci express 2.0 16 slot and I want 2 minimum and new boards are all pci express 3.0. also socket 1150 is limited to 16 lanes while the new socket 2011 v3 is up to 40 lanes with DDR 4 ram support

Apparently, the only difference is the "Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency" (1.2 vs 1.25 GHz). Otherwise, ALL the specs are the same.

So if that's the case, then the 1246v3 is DEFINITELY the better CPU to buy! :)

http://ark.intel.com/products/80916/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1246-v3-8M-Cache-3_50-GHz?wapkw=xeon+e3-1246v3

http://ark.intel.com/products/75464/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1275-v3-8M-Cache-3_50-GHz?wapkw=bx80646e31275v3

Actually, Ark indicates that both support VT-x, VT-x with Extended Page Tables, and VT-d.

So both support virtualization. 

Also, I'm certain of that, as the 1246v3 is a slight upgrade (slightly faster clock speed) than the 1245v3 which I own. And I run HyperV on (in fact, that was a HUGE consideration when I bought the CPU).

im looking at the Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 micro atx motherboard on newegg for 127.99 plus 10 dollar rebate and a intel Xeon E3-1246 v3 for 273.99 and a 6 TB wd red for 266.00. Im gonna run the win 8 eval until win 10 launches and that will probably be my "server os" other system specs are as follows....

1 Kingston V300 120gb ssd sys drive

1 1TB 2.5 in red in pool

1 1 TB 3.5 inch green and 1 1 TB b lack in pool,,

16gb gskill ddr 3 1600 ram (ripjaws) possibly upgrading to 32 gb tridents at later time.

this config looks good to me unless anyone has a better idea for a motherboard but I like the ability to run onboard graphics and the have 3 pci express slots for raid cards.. so that if needed I can just step up to a rack case with 24+ hotswap bays...