cpu for drivepool/scanner

Ryo

Question

hi all im rebuilding my fileserver / media server and im thinking of going intel. my main reason is I have the file server and then I have 3 laptops accessing it. will the cpu in the server make a difference on how quickly I can balance my pool and also how quickly I can run scanner? im thinking of rebuilding with a socket 1150 Celeron to start and then upgrade as I can afford.

Lol the old Intel vs AMD debate not even going to get started on that one my own personal preference is AMD but that's my preference. My Input on this conversation was simply that I use the APU and my particular system runs without any problems I can stream 1080p to 7 rooms, play music and download torrents as well transfer data between computers at the same time without any problems but then again I also use WD greens which people say are rubbish but  all 20 of mine have been fine some are even reaching the 4 year old mark so all I can say do your research and choose what you can afford.

? about the licence for drivepool / scanner.

I have just under 9 days left. and im planning on buying the $35 combo but if im say not able to buy it for say 10 or 14 day will my pool stop working?

not planning on adding any drive until long after I buy the licence but just double checking...

The APU's may be waste for that, because the gfx chipset aren't being used AT ALL really.

@Ryo, the pool would go into a sort of read only mode. 

However, if it's a concern and you only have a couple of days left, contact us at https://stablebit.com/Contact and we'll help you out with that.

The APU's may be waste for that, because the gfx chipset aren't being used AT ALL really.

Agreed but I am trying to avoid an Intel vs AMD fanboyz debate. Let's just say the A10 do well for a Server? I used to be an AMD fanboy and LOLled at the Pentium 4s and their heat issues. But Intel has come a long long way since then and well, I changed sides and will remain here until a better product comes along.

Agreed but I am trying to avoid an Intel vs AMD fanboyz debate. Let's just say the A10 do well for a Server? I used to be an AMD fanboy and LOLled at the Pentium 4s and their heat issues. But Intel has come a long long way since then and well, I changed sides and will remain here until a better product comes along.

Yeah, it should do well for a server. But you may be better off with a higher end CPU, and a cheap, $50 gfx card. 

And yeah, rabid fanboyism debates are never fun and always turn nasty. And both companies have come very far. but AMD is still definitely the underdog (though those APUs are pretty nice for a cheap gaming system!)

That said, I prefer Intel (I have a bad track record with AMD.... my last CPU literally has a scorch mark on it..., and that's just the latest). But a lot like HDD failure rates, it's very anecdotal.

hey I no this is off topics for this page. but im looking at IHOMESERVER. am I ok at looking at a single licence version for my server?

I believe you'd only need the license for one PC. But I'm not sure about that. Would be best to contact them and ask.

But from the looks, just one license is needed.

quick ? for all? I got my server up with my amd phenom 2 945 deneb @3.0ghz I have 16gb ddr 3 1600 ram Kingston 120gb ssd on server as os drive

1 1tb wd red 2.5 in 1 tb , 1 1Tb wd green 3.5 inch and 1 1TB WD black 3.5 inch

server is connected via 1000mb wire and my laptop is wireless through a wireless N gateway

any reason my movie should studder or be jerky through playback?

also does the servers Video make a difference when playing a movie from my mapped pool drive?

I set my servers onboard Video card to 32 MB. but system is showing a 8 gb virtual vid ram 

Depends on what exactly is happening.

Are you streaming, or playing off of a network share directly?

If it's from a network share, try enabling the 'Network IO Boost" option. This uses a bit more CPU and memory, but prioritizes network traffic over local traffic. This may help.

If it doesn't try copying the file over and then playing it, maybe it's a bad file.

If that's not the case, on both NICs, make sure that any "checksum" or "offload" settings are disabled. This use more CPU, and if not properly implemented can adversely affect your network speed and stability.

And no, the graphics chipset on the server shouldn't affect anything here.

the io boost helped a lil but it was my Mcafee (BS internet security) I disabled iTunes protection and I think its fixed no more voice lag. it was like seeing lips move before the voice came out. but seems fixed now

Thanks drashna

im playing files off the pool and it seems to be fixed. ill let u no if I run into any other issues

Ah, yeah, antivirus can do that. :(

Specifically, the file system filter (aka, what's used to create the real time scanner) intercepts the file access. If this filter isn't 100%... then it can definitely cause performance issues.

And yeah, the audio being out of sync is very annoying. It ruins everything, even if it seems like such a minor thing.

At this point in time? No.

I don't think there is a significant difference in RAM speeds, let alone CPU speeds.
Not to mention, the motherboards are $300+ in general, you require 4 sticks of RAM (I beleive) ... and the CPUs that support it are either E5's or Core i7 Extremes.

The only reason you'd need these is a LOT of virtualization (and on HyperV as I doubt ESX supports the hardware yet).

Besides, you can find good, high end DDR3 based systems that will more than meet your needs and a fraction of the cost.

I'm running the Xeon E3 1245v3 and have for more than a year, I believe (my memory is horrible).

I'm running R2 Essentials with the HyperV role installed. I also run a website from it (https://drashna.net/). That includes download clients (sab+sickbeard+couchpotato), I also have Subsonic, MySQL, Plex,  ScreenConnect, and a few other things all running.

I was running BlueIris on the system (which is very CPU intensive) as well.

The CPU was more than handling it, and with BlueIris running, was idling at about 60% usage (this with all of that running and at least 2 VMs running at any giving time).

After moving BlueIris to a dedicated box, and running close to 10 VMs all the time (SSD FTW), it runs at about 20-25%.

The 1275v3 is a slightly higher clock speed (and I think more cache), so I'm confident that it can handle whatever you have to throw at it. :)

having a very weird hard drive issue? I have about 200gb of music on my drivepool and if I try to play anything off the pool I get an error stating the drive is "in use" if I copy the album to my local hard drive it plays fine... any ideas

please tell my im not loosing my entire pool of drives