COVECUBECoveFs__

pettakos

Question

Sometimes when I reboot my pc running windows 8.1 x64 pro stablebit pool ver. 2.1, with an OS ssd and 13 Hdd's in the pool,

I can see that in non-pooled drives there is a drive that I can add, which I don't know what it is, named COVECUBECoveFs__.

It's not one of my physical drives. Furthermore, when I open up disk managemnt under windows, it prompts me to initialize a logical volume, with a total capacity of 2tb.

When I actually did that 10 minutes ago, the pool afterwards was inaccessible. I rebooted again, all is ok, apart from the fact that when I again go to disk management the unknown, not initialized, non allocated disk is still there. Moreover, the pool itself under the drive letter Z: is reported as having a total capacity of 2048GB, which doesn't make sense. Total pool capacity is 40TB.

Could you please help me out with this awkward situation, since I am rather new to drivepool, with which I am extremely satisfied?

Attached you will find screenshots of the pool and disk management.

Andreas  

post-1732-0-52123800-1414584310_thumb.jpg

post-1732-0-51220400-1414584398_thumb.jpg

1 answer to this question

You posted this as a ticket too. Sorry that I didn't get this sooner, then.

However, I'll answer here as well.

You have a large number of drives, and they're probably all loading at the same time, or at least very rapidly.  This ... unfortunately can cause problems for Windows disk subsystem (Virtual Disk Service, aka VDS).  This is a bug that Alex (the developer) discovered with VDS, and as such there isn't anything we can really do about it.

If you restart the VDS service, it should clear up the extra drive that you see.

And to be clear, the COVECUBE\CoveFS drive that you see is infact the pool drive. So I would recommend not doing anything with it, as it can cause issues (fortunately, it was the pool drive, because if you initialized a "normal" disk this way, you would have lost data!!!!).