Sync software

alexwick

Question

Hey, I am ideally looking for a easy sync software that is free....

I have a raid0 on my main PC for editing video and Photos. It syncs to my Media Drives on my HTPC as backup.

What is the best way to just sync (mostly one way) from this main pc to the HTPC, so over network?

8 answers to this question

I (and many others I'm sure) use RoboCopy - it already comes installed on your PC.

Here's a batch command I use to backup my users folder off a PC to my server.

robocopy "d:\users"  "\\serv\p$\Backup\Server\Users" /MIR /S /MT /R:1 /W:1
  • d:\users - source
  • \\serv.. - destination (my pool drive)
  • /MIR - mirror source to destination
  • /S - Copy subfolders (you might not need this with /MIR actually)
  • /MT - Multithreaded copying
  • /R:1 - If unable to access a file, only retry once (default is 1 million)
  • /W:1 - If unable to access a file, wait 1 second before retrying (default is 30)

As I'm mirroring my users folder there's lots of files it can't access which is why i set /R:1 and /W:1 (otherwise it sits there retrying forever).

I use AllwaySync, which works really great.  It preserves time stamps, downloads the file to a temp location until complete, has 2-way and 1-way sync, and allows you to run multiple jobs with easy to use filters and automatic synchronization.  This is an excerpt from the license agreement for the free version.

Currently, the limitations [of the free version] may not allow Customer to process more than 40,000 files in any consecutive 30-days. However, these limitations do not apply when synchronizing local files with an OffsiteBox online data storage account (including free OffsiteBox accounts).

In the past, I had tried RoboCopy, which worked well but did not do well when network connectivity was temporarily lost...even with the restart option.  My experience with Bittorrent Sync was horrible with an early beta version, and I ended up losing some time stamp data and even lost some files because of it.

hey guys...

Robo copy looks to "manual" for me...

I have used synctoy for a while... Dont remember why i stopped...

Then i use(ed) Good sync... what seems to be good.... BUT maybe it has TOO MANY options... I try to be simple...!

I just want My folder

Photos/2014 to be synced from my main PC (from a Raid0)

to my Fileserver PC which is using Drivepool....

My photos and videos will be loaded to my main PC and should be replicated... either with a push of a button or every evening...

I just started trying free file sync... which i actually like so far...

But I will still look into allaway sync...

robocopy is completely "manual". You can set up scripts to do all the work (and I can dig up a script or two for you, if you want). But yeah, very "manual". Or at least, very command line. 

SyncToy is pretty decent, but it has absolutely no options. That's probably why you stopped using it. 

Free File Sync and Allways Sync should definitely allow to you set a schedule. And to run it on demand, IIRC. 

And I'm glad that you're liking Free File Sync. Lots of options, and pretty easy to use, IIRC.

I highly recommend SyncBackPro from 2Brightsparks for syncing. It has an awesome feature which can trigger a sync automatically when it detects a file has been changed on the source, instantly syncing to the destination afterwards. So you don't even have to schedule anything. It's always on and always synced :)

But you DID mention free, so... that might not work for you. Here's their site if you're interested though:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/