File scan on unreadable sectors

Mathis

Question

Hello,

the scanner found 7105 unreadable sectors (after scanning 4 days). Now I wanted to let the "File scan" feature identify which files are being affected for trying to recover them. Sadly it doesn't do anything except reporting "The index was out of range." I suppose this is a bug. Maybe you can suggest me a workaround?

9 answers to this question

Hello again,

I tried the new BETA 2.5.2.3069, the original bug seems to be fixed - thanks for quickly fixing it. Another bug raised: when starting the File Scan, several damaged files are being shown and after a while I get something like <see screenshot>. The window cannot be moved or anything, clicking inside doesn't bring up any reaction, the CPU and harddisk is being used heavily. Maybe you can give me a hint, how to diagnose it or send you a bug report (it doesnt produce any visible error message).

Conservation of bugs law: a bug can never be removed or created new, it can only be transformed into another bug, the amount of bugs in a system is constant.

Mathis,

No screenshot was attached, apparently. 

However, in this case, can you get the text logs from the system?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_for_Windows_Error_Reports

But get the entire "C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\" folder instead. 

Also could you get a memory dump of the service when this happens?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Freeze

Conservation of bugs law: a bug can never be removed or created new, it can only be transformed into another bug, the amount of bugs in a system is constant.

LOL. Yeah, some days it really does seem like that. Or more like whack-a-mole: Squash one bug, and three more appear...

I checked the log files, they are being modified from half a day before scanning the disk, so I doubt you could find anything useful inside. The memory dump of the service is (uncompressed) 1GB and compressed (7z) about 180MB in size, you really want it? My upload speed isn't really fast at all...

Unfortunately, that is the best way to see what is going on at that moment in time. 

Aside that, is it generating any error reports? 

Also, could you enable the "advanced settings and troubleshooting" option (in the Scanner Settings, general tab, and then click on the "Settings" button and you should see the option).

In the "Logging" tab, find the "FileSearcher" option, click on it, and set the option to "Verbose". Then re-attempt to scan for damaged files.

Once that errors out, then upload the text logs to us (just all of "C:\ProgramData\StableBit Scanner\")