HDD drive always used to 30% from system

alexwick

Question

12 answers to this question

Today after the synchronization was done it still seems that the system is using the drives heavily... since it says BUS still saturated.

any thoughts why my drives are always used? even though i don't do anything..?

what can i do... help please!

wow i just checked drive manager in Windows... and the two raid 1 disk are re syncing AGAIN... they were at 100% last night.... why do they do that again !??

That's a very good question, and I'm not exactly sure.

Check the Event Veiwer, it may give you an idea why.

Maybe it rebooted after an update?

However, this is one of the reasons that I don't like dynamic disks.  To be blunt (and self-promoting), you'd be better off moving away from this, and using DrivePool to mirror the drives.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner!

If you had more disks than just the two, I would have recommended just adding the array to the pool, and migrating the data into the pool folder structure (aka "seeding the pool"). 

However, since you've already broken the array.... Since it is mirrored, remove one disk from the dynamic disk array. The other disk should remain and the data remain intact (but back up the data first, just in case). That will be "destructive" to the data on that drive (but should be fine on the other disk in the array). Once it's converted to a Basic disk, add it to the pool. Then copy the data from the remaining dynamic disk to the pool. Once that's done, convert the other drive to a basic disk and add it to the pool.

If you had more disks than just the two, I would have recommended just adding the array to the pool, and migrating the data into the pool folder structure (aka "seeding the pool"). 

However, since you've already broken the array.... Since it is mirrored, remove one disk from the dynamic disk array. The other disk should remain and the data remain intact (but back up the data first, just in case). That will be "destructive" to the data on that drive (but should be fine on the other disk in the array). Once it's converted to a Basic disk, add it to the pool. Then copy the data from the remaining dynamic disk to the pool. Once that's done, convert the other drive to a basic disk and add it to the pool.

Remember it's dynamic disks... i could not add the array!

Well the point is not to backup... because if i backup i could just copy it... (what essentially a backup is.. lol)

anyways.... i have one disk successfully integrated... now i have the duplicate disk (second one of the old raid1).

since i want to have 2 copies in drivepool, what is also here the easiest way? just add the 2nd to the pool and it will see that we have 2 copies and all is good? or how do you suggest to add the second disk?

In addition... So every pool has ONE drive letter? and ion order to really have the FULL benefit, it would make sense only to use one maybe 2 drive letters... 

... so for example i could not have 10 disks in ONE pool and somewhere in the software i can assign disc-letters... like i.e. i can partition a HDD.

Is the ideal setup (minimum wasted space) to have same size disks if you want to have duplication enabled.

on another note. scanner is indicating one disk will fail very soon... is is better to:

a) integrate it to the pool first and then let DP build the first copy to empty disk

B) make manually a copy with win explorer over to new disk and then integrate it to DP.

S.M.A.R.T. is not predicting imminent disk failure. However, some well known S.M.A.R.T. attributes that are indicators of mechanical problems are showing signs that the drive could be failing.

Thanks!!! looking forward to the reply...

Once you have the one drive in the pool,  it depends on what you want to do specifically.

If it's the only drive, then, that is precarious.... I would recommend converting the old drive, add it to the pool, and then enable duplication. At this point, the background service for StableBit DrivePool will check the duplication status and duplicate the files as needed. 

As for the drive letters, you can remove the letters from the disks, if you want. In fact, you can mount the drives to a folder path, and this is what I recommend:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

This removes the "clutter" of having a bunch of drive letters (and I believe that is what you were getting at), and leaves the disks accessible, if you need to access them directly.

As for the drive, what SMART error are you seeing? 

To be blunt, depending on which it is, it may indicate a serious problem with the drive. And you'd be better off RMAing the drive before adding it to the pool.

If it's Load Cycle Count, then you may be fine. Otherwise...

If it's the only drive, then, that is precarious.... I would recommend converting the old drive, add it to the pool, and then enable duplication. At this point, the background service for StableBit DrivePool will check the duplication status and duplicate the files as needed. 

This is what i have done...

ho long should the duplication check and duplication take? it is hanging around 78% for a while now...

As for the drive, what SMART error are you seeing?

Read error  0.4%

reallocated sector counts seem to be the main ones.

I cannot RMA it its out of warranty.

This Disk that is failing is also duplicated on my main computer as Raid0

As for how long it will take? That depends on the amount of data to be duplicated, the speed of the drives in question, and what else the system is doing. The duplication runs at a lower system priority, to prevent it from adversely affect system performance.

If you have a lot of data, it could take hours, or even a day or two. Since I don't know how much data you have to duplicate exactly, or the drives in question, I really can't give an estimate

As for the SMART errors, the Reallocated Sector Count one is a pretty bad one. Or at least can be. Having reallocated sectors means that the performance can be degraded (instead of reading contiguous sectors, it has to jump all over the place).  If this is growing, then it may indicate that there is a physically damaged area of the disk, and that the section is growing. If this is the case, then I would highly recommend replacing the disk sooner, rather than later.

And I'm sorry to hear that it's out of warranty. :(

I have a few disks that have gone bad recently that were not under warranty either. That's definitely not fun.