Lost server content after windows WHS2011 update

britgeezer

Question

Windows wanted to do updates 2 days ago on WHS 2011, I allowed it and after several restarts my server folders are missing and drivepool is not working.

Dashboard shows "the back ground service failed to start" restart computer - didn't work.

I did one thing before I realized DP wasn't working, and recreated the folder in WHS 2011. Probably a mistake.

Scanner is working OK, so I guess something has knocked out Drivepool.

Suggestions?  I guess I could try to reinstall drivepool.

7 answers to this question

yes, definitely check to make sure that the "StableBit DrivePool Service" is running (run "services.msc"). If it is, open up the DrivePool UI and make sure that none of the pooled disks are missing. If they are, it can cause this "content loss", and prevent some of the services from starting up.

In fact, which version of StableBit DrivePool are you running? (you can check in the control panel, or in the dashboard, if it's able to connect).

As for recreating the folder, if that was outside of the pool, then you won't be able to see it's contents properly until it's moved back.

Well DP was not listed under Services, but DPool Service.exe was listed as a process (0% CPU use).

I ran the executable manually and got error 0, Unable to start service can't control handle to pool.

After that the yellow bar "connection to service" ran a long time but DP didn't work.

I restored a previous status version, but nothing changed for DP.

I tried to install DP 1.3.6.7585 (latest WHS 2011) but it failed to install and gave an error message unable to install add-in.

WHS 2011 wanted to update so with some reservation, I allowed it (again) and after many reboots DP was working again and all folders could be accessed.

So a question if I may.  According to Dashboard  I'm running DP version 2.1.1.561 which is for W7, when my OS is WHS 2011.

Should I leave it or attempt to to install 1.3.6.7585?

If the answer is go with 7585, how would I do that? Uninstall the other version or just try to install the correct version over it?

To make sure, when you run "services.msc", you cannot find the "StableBit DrivePool Service"? 

If that is the case, then something is definitely wrong here. In fact, you should DEFINITELY have this service, as it handles the UI, remote control, balancing and part of the duplication.

If it is not there, then there may be something wrong with the system.

I would recommend uninstalling and reinstalling DrivePool to make sure everything is okay. The pool and your settings should remain in place, and "reappear" as soon as DrivePool is reinstalled.

If you're having issues uninstalling it, then you may need to do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q8964978

This will remove some settings (such as the balancing options, and licensing status). But the pool and duplication status will remain unaffected. (other than disappearing until you reinstall).

OK happy to say 1.3.xx is back, funky (per scanner) 3TB HD removed and replaced with 4TB.

Lots of balancing, duplicating and HD scanning going on.

Will leave it overnight and look for any issues (not expected) in the morning. 

The only problem I have to fix is getting my network Dashboard sessions to work again - but that's a WHS 2011 issue.