Drivepool good with torrent activities?

acdcking12345

Question

11 answers to this question

Yes, there should be no issues using torrents on the pool.

Specifically, the read/writes are forwarded to the drives, so if the drives in the pool can handle it, then so can DrivePool.

In fact, Alex runs VMWare VMs from the pool, I have ran HyperV VMs, torrents, and a few databases (mySQL and SQLite) from the pool, as well. So there should be no issues at all.

Yes, totally. I have a 150mbps downstream connection running 50 or so torrents at a time and DP has absolutely no issues with it.

I do two things though, to be safe:

1. I disable duplication on the folder I download to, it's just not needed
  2. I increase the cache on uTorrent and tell it to use up to 1GB of my System RAM for write caches.

I have never seen "Disk Overloaded".

@heartbraden,

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

EDIT: It seems that the problem was with the uTorrent version.

My guess is that it was too old. Upgraded to version 3.4.2 and the torrent worked like a charm.

Hi Christopher,

I have encountered the same problem as heartbraden on my evaluation installation.

When I try to download a torrent to my pool, it continues for about 15 seconds and then makes an error. Error being, "Error: Incorrect function"

and the log in uTorrent tells the following two lines:

"[2015-01-19 22:52:30]  IO Error:1 line:489 align:512 pos:4087808 count:16896 actual:-99

[2015-01-19 22:52:30]  IO Error:1 line:705 align:512 pos:4088312 count:16384 actual:-99"

The "pos:" and "count:" keep on changing between retrys.

I have the 2.1.1.561 version of DrivePool, my torrent software is uTorrent version 2.2.1 and I have made the following adjustments to the system:

1. Increase the cache on uTorrent and tell it to use up to 1GB of my System RAM for write caches (thanks

2. Rule to keep .!ut files on internal drive so that they are not written to external hard disk (on USB 2 port)

What could be the problem and what could be done to remedy the situation?

Other than this problem, your software has worked remarkably well even on my HTPC/server asRock e350m1!

Thanks!

Edited by OPTaiva

On 1/20/2015 at 12:05 AM, OPTaiva said:

When I try to download a torrent to my pool, it continues for about 15 seconds and then makes an error. Error being, "Error: Incorrect function"

and the log in uTorrent tells the following two lines:

"[2015-01-19 22:52:30]  IO Error:1 line:489 align:512 pos:4087808 count:16896 actual:-99

[2015-01-19 22:52:30]  IO Error:1 line:705 align:512 pos:4088312 count:16384 actual:-99"

The "pos:" and "count:" keep on changing between retrys.

I have the same problem with uTorrent. And I have some suggestion why this happens.
In the uTorrent settings, write caching is disabled by default. I think this causes the files to be opened with the flag FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING. The data to write must be aligned by the size of the physical sector. For a DrivePool volume, the sector size is always 512 bytes. On most disks, this does not lead to problems, because their sector is also 512 bytes. But on the 4Kn (Advanced Format 4K Native) drives, the error "Incorrect function" occurs because it requires alignment to 4096 bytes.

I tried to call the GetDiskFreeSpace function, and here are the results:
1. WD Red: BytesPerSector = 512
2. HGST HC510 (4Kn): BytesPerSector = 4096
3. DrivePool volume: BytesPerSector = 512

(My disk pool contains several WD Red and one HGST HC510.)

I also tried to download the file in different ways:
1. Directly on WD Red: OK.
2. On WD Red in the pool: OK.
3. Directly on HGST: OK.
4. On the HGST in the pool: error "Incorrect function".

I think that it is possible to fix the problem by making GetDiskFreeSpace (and disk geometry queries via IOCTL) to return the maximum sector size of all pool disks.

Can you fix it? Thanks!