Duplication Questions

4Frame

Question

69be118da0.pngI had a read through the manual and searched the forums but still didn't get the answer I needed.

If I have a pool that consists of 2 physical disks, and I enable 2x duplication, that means files are being duplicated twice (one in 1st drive, 1 in 2nd). Which would mean 2x would protect against 1 drive failure.

I'm assuming it isn't possible to set 3x duplication for only 2 disks. Can 3x duplication be set for 3 disks?

The reason I ask is because, I have a pool of 3 disks that has 2x duplication. When done that way, there are no errors and "Pool Organization" has a solid green bar all across.

On this same pool, if I increase the duplication to 3x. It beings duplicating, and after duplicating it starts balancing. The balancing will stop pretty quickly and the green bar will decrease in length with a lighter color and say "Duplication Inconsistant". I've re-measured, tried rebalancing, but nothing fixes. 

Am I doing something wrong? Or is 3x duplication on 3 drives just not possible? Maybe I'm not understanding the true concept of duplication yet. 

Edit: I also tried "Reset all settings" before changing the duplication level to 3x. This screenshot is after a full reset, and changing the to 3x.

15 answers to this question

Edit: The message has since changed from "Duplication Inconsistant" to "File Distribution not optimal"

Am I just paranoid that the duplication isn't optimal, and that if I add some more data, it will "soon" be optimal?

I'm just so confused...  :unsure:

You should be able to set the duplication to x3 without any issues. In fact, my backup database and the folder redirection share is set to x3 duplication.

That it is having issues may indicate a disk error, or maybe an issue with how you have the balancing or file placement rules set up.

The "service" logs may indicate where it is "choking".

Either take a look yourself, or upload them to us:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

(steps #6-8, specifically)

Okay, I will do this now. I'm suspecting I have a corrupted disk service. Maybe VDS. I've been having strange file problems for a while now on this install (haven't reinstalled since earlier this year and i've done LOTS of changes to services, app installls/uninstalls, shares, disabling VSS and re-enabling, uninstalling windows features and reinstalling, etc etc) I feel maybe a fresh install would fix all of this.

Another issue (could be related) that i've been having is when I open resource monitor, it will show the wrong drive letter for all activity on the "Disk" tab. 

For ex. I have a single disk (regular disk, unpooled) with the J:\ drive letter

Everything in resource monitor for my pooled drives (E, F, G) is always something like 

J:6\poolpart
J:9\poolpart

J:4\poolpart

and J:\ is totally unrelated to my pooled drives.

even for C:\ drive activity it would show something like J:2\prorgram files\program_here\file.dll

I'm going to upload the logs to the link you provided above right now.

Is the duplication enabled at the pool file level? or at a specific folder level?

Also, have you changed any of the balancing settings. Or set any file placement rules?

And next to the status bar, there should be the down arrow/triangle. Click on that, and it should force it to finish duplicating or resolve the issues.

For this specific pool, it has only 1 folder that is duplicated. The rest of the pool is empty right now (only has the one folder I mentioned). Balancing is completely default, except I uncheck "Not more often than every:" on all my pools. Nothing else gets touched.

I have 3 pools total, and the other two are working great.

http://puu.sh/cdAil/7413c1fca6.png <- Screenshot of Folder Duplication window

Note: the owncloud folder isn't the actual program/databaseSQL folder. Only the storage of uploaded files from users are here.

Btw this pool was fine until a few days ago when I added a new hard drive and removed the old one. Then the "File distribution not optimal" message began showing. So I thought deleting all volumes (using disk management. I also diskpart'ed and cleaned all 3 disks) and creating the pool from scratch again would fix it. I then copied the owncloud folder back to the pool, and this is where I'm at right now.

I did try clicking the arrow, many times. it gives a "Re-balance" option. When I click that, it seems like it starts. It indicates "Balancing" and after 15 seconds or so, it goes back to "File distribution not optimal" with the green bar incomplete (like the screenshot)

Folder permissions could block it. But the service runs as the "SYSTEM" account, so usually, there should not be any issues.

In fact, if you're able to reproduce this, could you enable the file system logging, and re-grab the logs, just in case there is something else going on here?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Are you using reparse points or links on the pool?

Could you empty the recycle bin on the system? 

If that doesn't help, enable the "show hidden files" option, as well as as the "show system files", and delete the "$RECYCLE.BIN" folder on the pool.

After doing that, could you open each of the poolpart folders and find the ".covefs" folder and remove these (you may need to stop the StableBit DrivePool service to do so)

I don't think I am. Can you give a quick example of what that may be?

Recycle bin has been emptied. I shut down the drivepool service, showed all hidden files, went to each of the 3 drives and removed the .covefs folders. I then restarted the service, tried re-balancing, and still nothing... :(

If you're not sure, then you're definitely not. It's not something that you can set up normally. It requires command line usage or 3d party tools. 

ANd okay, Alex will take a look at the logs when he can, and let me know what he finds. 

That was just a hunch based on some of the text logs.

So apparently the issue has fixed itself. By adding a few more gigs of files to the pool, it balanced itself automatically. "File Distribution Not Optimal" was the message I kept getting before, so perhaps it really wasn't optimal due to the size of my original folder (14.5GB) and 3 hard drives (1TB,1TB,2TB) .....? Maybe it wasn't able to optimally distribute them because the placement would always be off because of calculations. I have no clue. But needless to say I am now a happy camper.

----------------------------------

6e514f9831.png

If that is the case, it may have been a calculation error. It should show up in the logs regardless.

Or it may have been a disk error that was corrected by writing to the disk.

Either way, we'll still look into it (well, Alex will), just in case it is a serious issue (either for you or for us).

But I'm glad to hear that it seems to have resolved.