Need pool to be taken offline when a drive drops out OR way to query pool status from a remote machine

Merwinsson

Question

I have 2 machines, each running a 5 disk drivepool.  One is an active file server (DATABANK), the other is strictly a backup of the file server (FORTKNOX) that syncs with the fileserver every night at 2AM.

I recently ran into an issue where a drive on DATABANK suddenly failed and the pool went into its special readonly state.  But that caused a problem with the sync service.  The nightly sync service on FORTKNOX didn't see any problem and sync'd with DATABANK, removing the roughly 20% of the files that were on the failed drive that dropped out of the pool.  Now, the files weren't really removed, so it was no big disaster; they were simply moved to a holding place where I could examine what was supposed to be removed; and I simply moved them back (normally I periodically delete this area as files here really are supposed to be deleted).

So what I need to happen is either:

1. I need the pool to go offline and/or become unavailable when it's degraded like this, so the sync will FAIL instead of proceeding happily.

OR

2. Need a way to test the DATABANK pool status from FORTKNOX and not proceed to sync if the status is not good.  I currently use a PowerShell script to coordinate the sync so something PowerShell-ish would be good.

Thanks for any suggestions.

---

UPDATE

I worked around this issue in the meanwhile by doing some pretesting before syncing.

I added some scripting code to test to see if I could write to a writable share on DATABANK.  If that fails then I assume the pool is degraded and abort the sync.

Still, it would be nice to have an option for the pool to become unavailable rather than degraded and readonly should a disk dropout.

Edited by Merwinsson
New Information

2 answers to this question