HDDs for DrivePool

essential

Question

I'm assembling a computer this weekend.  I was originally going to build 2 computers, 1 home machine, and 1 server.  Budget restraints have brought me down to just one machine, and I'm going to run DrivePool and have the pool be a share for several devices in the house.

I currently have:

4TB Seagate NAS Drive (ST4000VN000, never used)

2TB WD Green (2 years old)

1TB WD Green (5 years old)

1TB WD Green (5 years old)

All the drives are still working with no errors, but I was going take out the two 1TB drives and add another 4TB drive since they are at the 5 year mark.  I was never able to use the 4TB seagate because my old machine wouldn't recognize the drive so I can't speak on it's reliability.  Are there any drives that work better with DrivePool?

I'm going to be duplicating most things, but reliability is important.  I've looked in to enterprise drives but some reviews say they aren't desktop drives and shouldn't be used as such.  This isn't technically a NAS even though other devices will be accessing the pool.  The machine will be on 24x7.

Should I go cheap with a green drive, a nas drive, or enterprise drive?

Thanks.

How much slower are the wd black 2.5 inch with 16mb cache over the 3.5 black ive had for 5 years?

im debating between spinner and ssd.....

unless u guys think the crucial will be durable enough to go for at least 5 yrs or so

I'd be careful going with any of the current 2.5" drives geared for laptops, excluding the 2.5 WD red, many if not all of them have head parking issues which plays into the systems time out/sleep features and saves battery life for laptops. I was going to go with a 2.5" black, but I found mixed reviews, some complained about the head parking, while others did not, so I went with a SSD.   The issue with the head parking is that drives have so many load cycle counts before the drive starts throwing smart errors when you hit the max.  I have a couple 2.5 HGST drives, that i use a program to write data to them every 8 seconds which keeps the heads from parking.  

there's no reason to go mechanical at this point for the OS drive, SSD's are too cheap.  Use the built in windows utility to back UP the os drive, and forget about.  

I agree with the getting a smaller SSD for the system disk.

It makes backup easier (as it's small drive, and reads are very fast), and makes it less likely that you'll clutter it up with stuff.

Additionally, the speed boost that you get from running the system on an SSD is absolutely tangible and will be worth the "premium" that you pay for SSD (price per GB).

As for live, most of the Crucial SSDs's MTBF are rated for 1.2-1.5 MILLION hours (that's over 100 years, in theory). However, actual data usage, and environment play into how long they'll actually last. But they should be more than good enough to last 5 years, in theory.

That said, ALWAYS backup your SSDs. Always. Unlike with HDDs, SSDs rarely give you warning before they fail. It's usually suddenly. So it's all but mandatory to have a backup. But you should anyways. No such thing as too many backups.

will it be safe to use the Kingston ssd with the win 10 tech preview? my worry is that soon as I load windows there is an update download to go to the next build.. will this hurt the ssd ?

Yo Ryo, there's an old saying, Poop, or get off the pot.  Go get your SSD, and get it going already. You're over thinking this, ;)   Forgot my wink.

No, definitely not annoying. They're good questions.

As for SSDs, I'd recommend samsung, crucial, and intel SSDs, because they're made all "in house" in theory. Less outsourcing.

As for the SSD, as long as it has TRIM support (or does active garbage collection), then there should be no issue with updates.

Windows 10 definitely supports TRIM (as long as the disk is in AHCI mode, IIRC). So absolutely no worries. 

The real issue is "wear". SSDs have a certain amount of reserved space, as the nand in the SSDs have a limited number of writes. As time goes on, it will use the reserved space. Downloading a lot of updates will affect the lifespan, but not significantly. Especially as these updates are relatively small.

My mobo is set to AHCI and I then loaded win 10 preview and let it update and download newer build. Today I received my WD red from newegg to replace the dead one. should I just install it and add it to the pool or set it as its own drive for awhile to see how it runs? and then add it to the pool.....

I need a good power supply next and im planning on filling out my case with 1 slim dvd rom and 12 Hard drives.. plus I need a sata connector for my case fan controller so ill need a total of 14 Sata Connectors. my ? is should I get a supply with 14 connectors or get one with less and use splitters?

My mobo is set to AHCI and I then loaded win 10 preview and let it update and download newer build. Today I received my WD red from newegg to replace the dead one. should I just install it and add it to the pool or set it as its own drive for awhile to see how it runs? and then add it to the pool.....

Let StableBit Scanner do a surface scan and then add it to the pool.

Otherwise, add it right away.

I need a good power supply next and im planning on filling out my case with 1 slim dvd rom and 12 Hard drives.. plus I need a sata connector for my case fan controller so ill need a total of 14 Sata Connectors. my ? is should I get a supply with 14 connectors or get one with less and use splitters?

That's a good question. As you may be hard pressed to find one with 14 SATA power connectors, splitters may be the best way. Ironically, was just looking at them for a friend, so I have a link handy.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-PYO2SATA-Power-Splitter-Adapter/dp/B002N2EHVQ/ref=lp_3015394011_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1418073861&sr=1-9

This link has a 2 and 4 way splitter, and both are under $5. So may be totally worth it.

However, I would recommend shelling out the money for a 80+ certified power supply. And the higher the better (Bronze->Silver->Gold->Platinum). 

im not planning any type of gaming rig. just currently my phenom 2 945 3.0ghz with 16gb ram and a Kingston 120gb v300 ssd for the os. my data pool currently is  1 WD black 1TB 7200rpm 3.5 inch hdd, 1 WD green 1TB 3.5 inch HDD and 1 WD red 1 TB 2.5 inch HDD

im planning on maxing out the case with 10 WD red 3.5 inch 6TB HDD and a slot load dvd rom and a 8 port raid card. for a total of a 61TB data pool unless larger red drives come out down the road..

Yeah I agree with Chris I went for a 1200w when I built mine I wanted to make there was plenty there if it was ever needed plus a computer only ever uses what it needs so efficiency is not a problem

That is actually not correct. Sure, the DC computer components will only use what they need but the PSU that transforms AC to DC will _always_ require more W that it delivers and, AFAIK, significantly when the DC required is far less than unfettered/maximal/optimal output. Perhaps some are so good that the loss is small but, really, will you ever use 40% of that PSU in such a machine?

Anyway, who am I to nag, I run Rosetta@Home on my server so I'm wasting energy to (although for science&medicine and at least my PSU is used in its efficient zone ;) )