Windows 7 File Recovery backup not working

sspell

Question

Hi I really like the software. I have installed and used it without issue so far save one. I'm running it under windows8 the problem I'm having is window7 file recovery won't backup to the pool it stops on creating an image of c: and errors backup did not complete successfully. Acronis 2013 works fine but I don't have that on all my computers yet. Are u aware of this or is it just my setup or maybe Microsoft hmmm?

11 answers to this question

I'm using the latest beta build v2.0.0.320. Windows7 file recovery works backing up to the root of a drive in the pool just not to the pool itself. Do you think copy and paste to the pool then folder duplication work? I have yet to try this. I just don't like the bloat of acronis on my computers. I have to say this is awesome software combined with the scanner. I'm not going to let this one issue stop me from buying your product. Makes windows8 a true server and media center machine in one.

That's... odd ....

If you wouldn't mind doing this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

That may help isolate why it's failing.

Though, I'd recommend a dedicated drive for this anyways. Namely because if you are grabbing the bare metal recovery stuff (should be by default), then you should be able to recover "outside of windows" which wouldn't work if the backup is in the pool.

Ok will get to that soon. I like the duplication of drive pool and disk health checking of scanner if bare metal restore won't work from drive pool I still would like to store backups in drive pool. Then move the backups to a small drive to be restored on the machine that failed. . Windows 7  file recovery is throwing everything to the root of the backup dive anyway so multi machine backup could get complicated sorting out the files. I guess acronis is the way to go it keeps the files together in a folder of your choosing. Below screenshot of error. Oh I forgot to say this backup attempt was on the local machine with drive pool installed i.e. the server

post-286-0-18035500-1373812187_thumb.png

The file lock issue you are a getting here is probably due to a recent change in DrivePool.

And as for the backup, If you really want multiple machine backups, I'd honestly recommend getting WHS2011. You can find it for ~$50, which is so totally worth the money. And it does a pretty good job of handling BMRs (as well as use "Single Instance Storage" for the backup database).  At least, I'm assuming what you want is centralized backup of your systems.

I would but my server does double duty as a media center pvr. It is in a bedroom I only use sometimes at night for TV and movies I don't pvr it just mostly buffers I do that on another machine. But if I ever choose to dedicate a sever totally that is a good choice. I have 5 other computers networked besides a couple laptops and the power from running all these computers begins to add up in a home office environment where the budget is thin.

Okay,  I was just wondering.

If you want to send in some logs, that may help figure out why it's failing specifically (so we can get it fixed):

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Also, have you checked out XBMC and a PVR server (such as MediaPortal, or other PVR software, as XBMC supports that now)? It would work well with WHS2011 (which does have BDA drivers required for tuner support).

....And I don't mean to give you ideas, I'm just curious. I like to know how others build their machines and networks.

Non of the options I could find provides for cable card tuner copy protected content so the cable encrypted channels will not work. Windows Media Center is the only option for that. I decided to dedicate the server to windows home server 2011 and build another htpc for the bedroom computer....

Do you mean backing up to the pool, or backing up of the pool. 

If you mean "of" the pool, DrivePool does not support VSS (Volume Shadowcopy Service). That means it doesn't support Windows Backup right now. You can, however, backup the individual drives.

If you mean "to" the pool, it should backup to the pool just fine.