Shares missing after reinstall

pjakesson

Question

Hello,

I cloned my system disk to a new install, and most things went well.

Except, after reboot there are no shares (all on pool) exported

Then I run the WSS Troubleshooter and the share are exported correctly to my clients,

though the Dashboard says the shares are still missing and gives a critical error.

And it seems the shares stick until next reboot.

thanks in advance

Per

12 answers to this question

What do you mean by "stick"?

On the server, can you see the X:\ServerFolders\sharename folders on the pool? If so, run "compmgmt.msc" on the server. Find the "Shared Folder" section, and check the "Shares" option.

You should see a number of shares. The important ones are the ones that should be showing up in the dashboard. 
If these are there, then go to the "Services" section, and make sure all of the "Windows Home Server" or "Windows Server Solutions" services are started (except for the "initialization" service).

Thank you for uploading the log files. 

However, could you do a complete uninstall of both products, and install the latest version?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q8964978

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Q8964978

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Download

https://stablebit.com/Scanner/Download

If the problem persists after that, then could you enable tracing, and duplicate the issue?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Log_Collection

Well, I'm glad to hear that at least.

As for the issue, there are a few things that could have caused this issue though.

When it was "not working", was it just displaying that in the dashboard? Or where the shares completely inaccessible from another system? 

If it was just the dashboard, then the issue is with the "Windows Home Server Storage Manager" service, and not DrivePool or the Shared folders specifically.

In fact, if you could grab, zip up and send me the entire "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs" folder, I will take a look a them to see what is going on.

Email them to me at "christopher@covecube.com".

That, or the issue *may* have been one of the ones fixed in version "1.3.3.7563"

•  [D] Changed how pools are enumerated at boot time to get rid of the 1 second delay between when the virtual disk driver is loaded and when it spawns its disks.)

As this may be enough to cause the discrepancy, especially on a quick booting system.

Regards

Well, I'm glad to hear that at least.

As for the issue, there are a few things that could have caused this issue though.

When it was "not working", was it just displaying that in the dashboard? Or where the shares completely inaccessible from another system? 

If it was just the dashboard, then the issue is with the "Windows Home Server Storage Manager" service, and not DrivePool or the Shared folders specifically.

In fact, if you could grab, zip up and send me the entire "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs" folder, I will take a look a them to see what is going on.

Email them to me at "christopher@covecube.com".

Thanks for looking into this.

Yes in fact it was just showing "missing" in the Dashboard but all clients could access the shares.

But as I said suddenly the showed up in the Dashboard and all pointing to my Drivepool, so it "fixed" itself.

But... I still have a Dashboard warning "One or more pre-defined server folders are missing"

but it doesn't says which one. 

23s91ef.png

I email you the logs when I get back from work.

Thanks in advance.

Per

Ah, yeah.

For the most part.... warnings/errors like that usually get fixed by rebooting. However, sometimes, they get "stuck" and don't disappear normally. Worst case, delete the error, and it should "go away".

Also, I would recommend not sharing the "D:\" drive at all. Unless you have a very good reason.

And that is because, by default, Windows creates an "administrative" share for each of the drives, which you can find by using "\\SERVERNAME\d$\"

Also, I would recommend not sharing the "D:\" drive at all. Unless you have a very good reason.

And that is because, by default, Windows creates an "administrative" share for each of the drives, which you can find by using "\\SERVERNAME\d$\"

Ah, I didn't know that, then I'll try to use \\SERVER\D$\ instead.

Per