Highly intermittent USB 3.0 connections with DrivePool present

leops1984

Question

Scenario: I have six hard drives of various sizes (all bar one in the 2TB-4TB range). It used to be that most of them were connected via my motherboard's USB headers, but most of those were USB 2.0.

I recently bought some generic PCI-E to USB 3.0 controllers (like this) to move some of those to USB 3.0. However, I have run into a serious problem: when DrivePool is installed, the USB connection becomes VERY intermittent. The drives connected to those controllers keep connecting and reconnecting - the connection will die for a second, then it'll be right back up. This happens minutes apart, if not less.

I believe this is a StableBit issue because this behavior does not happen when DrivePool or Scanner is not installed. If neither is installed, the drives behave normally. If either one is installed, the intermittent connections resume.

So... what's going on here? Has anyone else seen anything similar?

9 answers to this question

Chances are that this is being caused (triggered) by StableBit Scanner.

Could you run "services.msc", find "StableBit Scanner Service" and set it's startup type to "manual"? This will make the UI fail to load, but should stop the issue.

If it does, could you enable the "Smart_NoWmi" option via this link:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

And see if that helps. (Or use this file: 

Remove the ".txt" from the file, and place it in the correct folder. Then start the StableBit Scanner service, or change it's startup type back to "automatic" and reboot.

Yes, stopping the service does appear to fix this issue. Is it safe to copy files onto the pool while the service is not running?

Does stopping the StableBit DrivePool Service fix the issue?

If so, please do let us know. But if that doesn't help, then please do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

EDIT: It mostly goes away when the service is not running. (I.e., it cuts out every hour or so).  

Edited by leops1984

Yes, it is safe to copy contents over while the service is off. Mostly, the service handles the UI, duplication passes and balancing. 

If I had to guess, the pool is active when this happens. If so, then it's likely a lot of activity on the USB3 bus and it's causing the controller to crash. That, or the disk is temporarily dropping out. Unfortunately, both are a common occurrence for USB

However, if you could enable file system logging and let one of the drives drop out, we can get a clear picture of what is going on and hopefully help.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

This Reconnect of a USB 3.0 Drive is a Windows 8.1 Bug. Have it now since years. 2-3 Month ago a Windows Updates fixed it for some USB 3.0 Drives but not for my Drives. :(

Try to Disable Drive Spindown in Powermenu and disable Energie Saving for Drives and USB Ports. 

Look if your USB 3.0 has a NEC Chip, it was reportet that this is more Stable under Windows 8.1.