temperature error

fazza

Question

Hi Folks,

Since installing the new version of scanner (a day or two ago maybe) I am seeing drive overheating errors on one of the boot ssd's in my system. The disk itself is clearly running nice and cool (27 deg tops) but scanner is flagging it as a warning. I assume this is because the SMART data is reporting a max operating temp of 0 deg for some reason. 

I've silenced the warning for now but don't like the fact that scanner is logging a warning when the disk is clearly fine. Is there a way to correct this operating range or is there something else I can do about it? 

I've attached a screenshot of scanner showing the temp in red

Many thanks

post-1672-0-38448900-1411658982_thumb.png

7 answers to this question

Fazza,

If you notice in the warning, that it indicates that the maximum operating temperature of the drive is "0C". That's obviously not correct.

To fix this issue immediately, right click on the disk and select "Disk Settings". There should be an option to override the maximum temperature for the drive. Enable it, and set it to a higher value. IIRC, most SSDs are spec-ed to max at 70C.

To fix this issue for the future, could you open up the SMART data for the drive and check the "Submit to Bitflock" option? After a minute or two, it should generate an 8 digit string. Post that string here, and we'll see about updating the drive's information for the future.

hey guys im new to scanner and my wd black 1002 FAEX is coming up as waiting to scan  (temperature equalization).. what does this mean? I am currently scanning my wd red 2.5 inch 1 TB but that temp equalization thing scared me on the black drive.

The Temperature Equalization is a normal thing. Specifically, we try to avoid scanning a disk if it's significantly warmer than other drives in the system. This is to prevent "hot spots" from occurring in your system. 

You can disable this, or change the threshold in the Scanner Settings, under the "Heat" tab.