Underlying folder struction

vanian

Question

Hi,

I haven't started playing with Drivepool yet (waiting for some disks), but i am just curious about the underlying folder structure on the physical disks.  We can read the drives independently of Drivepool in the event of problems due to NTFS, as i hear that the files are kept in a hidden folder nothing special.

But what i am wondering is how the files look there if i were to open that folder.

Are they just kind of randomly allocated there, or is there a folder structure that matches, or is close to the folder structure we would see on the actual pooled virtual drive.

For example, if on my pooled drive i had a folder, say "P:\documents\important\file1.doc", would i see something similar in the hidden folders on whichever physical disk the actual file was stored, such as "E:\<hidden folder>\documents\important\file1.doc"? Or is it all very much mixed up and random?  Just curious, as if it were kinda random it would be harder to get things back organised together manually later, should it be required (i know will probably never need to do it, as i say, just my curiosity)

And as a bonus optional question, does anyone know if CrashPlan backup would backup ok from the virtual pooled drive? 

Thanks a lot

3 answers to this question

First Post!

The underlying folder structure is the same as it is in the drive pool, and exactly as you describe:

<Pool>:\ Documents \ Important \ File1.doc

<Pool>:\ Documents \ Important \ File2.doc

<Pool>:\ Documents \ Important \ File3.doc

... will be represented as ...

D:\ <HiddenFolder> \ Documents \ Important \ File1.doc

E:\ <HiddenFolder> \ Documents \ Important \ File2.doc

F:\ <HiddenFolder> \ Documents \ Important \ File3.doc

Duplicated items are as you expect; the same directory structure on each drive

D:\ <HiddenFolder> \ Documents \ Important \ File1.doc

E:\ <HiddenFolder> \ Documents \ Important \ File1.doc

D:\ <HiddenFolder> \ Documents \ Important \ File2.doc

E:\ <HiddenFolder> \ Documents \ Important \ File2.doc

Note that the <HiddenFolder> is NOT the same across drives; they are unique to each drive. Hope this helps!

Yey!, for the first post, and another Yey! for the answer too which was pretty much exactly what i was hoping to hear :)  That makes things much easier in that scenario.. Looking forward to putting it into action soon.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. Much appreciated.

Yup, Cool1Net6 is absolutely correct here.

Specifically, we use hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" (where the "xxxx" is a random sequence of letters and numbers referred to as a "GUID") to store the pooled data. And the folder structure in these folders is what is used for the pool.

Specifically, we merge the contents of these folders into one "drive", and that is what is displayed.

Additionally, we do have a guide for "seeding" the pool, if you are trying to convert over to it.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489