Can I unmount a pool?

JazzMan

Question

I am running DrivePool 2.x on Windows 7.  Am I able to unmount a pool?  If I click on the "Safely Remove Hardware" thingy in the tray and select the "Eject Covecube Virtual Disk", nothing seems to happen.  The drive letter for the pool remains, although a windows balloon tells me that the device is now safe to remove.

I'm not asking about adding/removing drives from the pool, but affecting the availability of the pool itself.  Specifically, I am asking in regards to an external Mediasonic JBOD tower that I would like to turn off occasionally.  I have a pool configured that contains all of, and only drives from, the tower.  I need DrivePool to remain running though because I have a second internal pool.

12 answers to this question

Watching more closely with Windows Explorer and the DrivePool UI open, it looks like what happens is the pool does get unmounted but then it gets re-mounted again within a matter of seconds.   Is there some "auto detect" feature I can turn off?

If I just turn off the tower when the drives should not be active I get messages from DrivePool that disks in the pool are no longer available and such.  It also sends DrivePool into a lot of disk activity "Measuring..." the internal pool that should not have changed at all.  I'd like to keep things cleaner if possible.

Yeah, that's what I mean by "finicky". :(

As for the pool, I think I may have mis-understood you here.

If the pool only contains disks in the external enclosure, then turning it off will "remove" the pool. This is because once the last disk is removed or disconnected, there is no longer a pool.

However, if you have a mix of internal and external disks in the pool.... Then no, you can't do this. The disks that are off/disconnected are considered missing until they are replaced or the rest are removed.

However, one way around this would be to manually set the disks as "offline" in disk management. 

>> As for the pool, I think I may have mis-understood you here.

I don't think you misunderstood.  DrivePool is managing two different pools, one is purely internal drives and the other purely external drives, neither is heterogeneous.  "D:" is a pool of six internal drives, and "E:" is a pool of four external drives.  For some reason, when "E:" disappeared (yes, if I turn off the tower "E:" is removed), DrvePool thought it needed to "measure" "D:".  At least that is what seemed to happen, although maybe I don't understand what this step is and what triggers it.

>> However, one way around this would be to manually set the disks as "offline" in disk management.

I'll look into that.  Do you know if that is script-able?

Ah, okay. So removing/disconnecting/turning off the external pool is causing the internal pool to be remeasured?
If so, that's definitely not expected behavior. 

Could you enable file system logging and reproduce the issue?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

As for scripting, absolutely. It would require diskpart though.

And it's as simple as creating a text file with the commands, and then running "diskpart -s script.txt". (as an admin).

So, assuming disks 5-7 are all of the disks in the external pool, setting them offline would require this:

select disk 5
offline disk
select disk 6
offline disk
select disk 7
offline disk

Setting them online would be a matter of using "online" instead of "offline"

And you can load up diskpart and run "list disk" to determine what numbers the disks are.

Also, be aware, that you may need to test this out, as the disks may change number between reboots, etc. Especially as when the pool is recreated, it may change the disk order number.

Christopher (Drashna), on 16 Sept 2014 - 02:45 AM, said:

Ah, okay. So removing/disconnecting/turning off the external pool is causing the internal pool to be remeasured?

select disk 5
offline disk
select disk 6
offline disk
select disk 7
offline disk

Setting them online would be a matter of using "online" instead of "offline"

And you can load up diskpart and run "list disk" to determine what numbers the disks are.

Also, be aware, that you may need to test this out, as the disks may change number between reboots, etc. Especially as when the pool is recreated, it may change the disk order number.

1. I have 3 drivepool with 7 disks each. All of them are USB disks. Anytime when any of these 21 disks missing, all three pools will be remeasured.

2. Dont use disk #, use

disk <disk path>

Where

<disk path>

Specifies the location of the disk to receive focus, for example, PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0F02)#ATA(C00T00L00). To view the location path of a disk, select it and then type detail disk.

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731355.aspx

But make sure to use the same physical port ( USB or SATA )

JazzMan,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thank you for uploading the logs and the video. I've flagged them for Alex, and he'll take a look into it.

Also, you're running Windows 7, correct? 32 bit or 64 bit?

Edited by Christopher (Drashna)
Reference: https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/8332

JazzMan,

I've fixed the issue that you were seeing with the remeasuring of the incorrect pool. It was actually, unnecessarily, scheduling all the pools for a remeasure pass when any volume went missing.

Thanks for the detailed reproduction.

Here's a video showing the fixed behavior: http://screencast.com/t/nu7sTvaA7lvO

The fix is applied in the latest internal BETA (2.2.0.569) and you can download it here:

http://wiki.covecube.com/Downloads

Regards,

1. I have 3 drivepool with 7 disks each.

2. Dont use disk #, use  disk <disk path>

To view the location path of a disk, select it and then type detail disk.

This method does not seem to work for my USB 3 JBOD disks.  When I select those, diskpart says "Location Path : UNAVAILABLE"