Disk Queue and performance field Blank

saitoh183

Question

9 answers to this question

I noticed the blank Performance column also, but I forgot that there was a Q2150495 topic.  The issue occurred when I upgraded 3048 Beta over 3041 Beta.  Doing a repair to the installation didn't fix it, but uninstalling and reinstalling did.

Second question though is that the Ping column is blank.  When Ping is checked, resulting Performance is displayed in that column, but what's the Ping column for?

Mick,

Could you grab the error reports from the system, just in case?
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_for_Windows_Error_Reports

And if that does happen again, grab a service and UI memory dump, just in case:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Freeze

(same method for both, just "Scanner.UI.exe" for the UI).

As for the ping column, I'm not actually sure. Pinging Alex about it, for clarification. .....

Okay, I initiated a contact request 897285 and uploaded both the scanner.service.dmp and the errorreports.zip. But the scanner.ui.dmp was zero-size file.  (The performance column has become blank again, but I haven't gotten around to messing with the performance counters you suggested earlier.)

As for the Ping colume, in the newer beta builds, there seems to be a bug with displaying it. Alex should have fixed that in the newest internal beta already.

As for what it does:

The ping column tests the response time of the disk by measuring how long it takes to read 1 MB, it does so every second. 

Additionally, it tests for dropped out connections. If you check "ping" a handle is open to the disk, if after this time the disk disconnects, even for a short period, the pinging will stop and the ping column will turn red indicating that the disk has dropped out in the past.

So it serves a few functions:
  • To test for disk drops.
  • To visually identify a disk by the disk access light, which will light up once every second.
  • To see the disk response time (albeit, this is not its main purpose).

Thanks for the Ping info.  I've used it before but already forgot if the column was functional in earlier versions. Downloaded and installed 3053 over the weekend and Ping is fixed.  (Reminded me that Alex and I discussed possible use of a different color for Burst test some months ago, because it's easy to forget if you've left it running.  Thought I'd nudge that idea a little bit.)  Sorry so far off topic of this thread.

About the Performance column.  I'm still getting the issue with 3053 Beta.  For example, the column will display only one drive's data in the column with others blank. Close UI and reopen, all fields in the column blank. Restart scanner service fixes temporarily: Start UI, all drives displayed in performance; close UI, and the whole column is blank.  See contact update.