Same drive showing up twice in list?

leops1984

Question

I'm in the process of migrating my array into a DrivePool. Unusually, however, my pool appears to have gotten a case of drive confusion. My list of disks is attached, and one of the drives is showing up twice (H:\). The pool also appears to be confused about which disk # it is, too: the one in the pool is reported as Disk 12.... which is actually J:\ (which is also reported as Disk 12). It's actually Disk 10, which is what the H:\ in the non-pooled section is reported as.

As far as I can tell it's not actually affecting anything, but something like this still worries me. What's going on, and what's a good fix?

post-1695-0-42190200-1410211759_thumb.png

7 answers to this question

Well, we rely on VDS (Virtual Disk Service) for a lot of the information about the system. So if that is "getting confused" that would affect how drivePool lists the drive.

Does restarting the system fix the issue, or is it still there after a reboot?

I believe it's the latter. This has persisted for the past couple of days.

Would you mind verifying that?

And if it does persist, could you grab the error reports from the system?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Error_Reports

And get a dump of the DrivePool Service?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Service_Memory_Dump

Well.... I managed to "fix" things, but not in a way that CoveCube could use to find and fix the bug, unfortunately.

I decided to remove the errant drive from the pool. Unfortunately, when it did so, the files that were on there did not redistribute to the other drives. Oops. I manually moved the files out of the PoolPart hidden folder instead.

I attached the error reports I have, but I can't provide the memory dump as the system has already restarted from the time I did my "fix". 

ErrorReports.zip

Actually, moving the files out of the PoolPart folder is generally how we'd recommend "fixing" some of the weird issues like this.

And after the files are moved out of the PoolPart folders, deleting (not just to the recycle bin, but permanently) should fix the issue. But may require rebooting the server or restarting the service. 
After that's done, you should be able to "seed" the contents back into the pool just fine:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

The error reports and memory dumps are so we can take a look at what is causing the issue, and hopefully fix it for the future.

That said, which OS is this for, and what specific version of DrivePool?

I'm not sure of this is what's happening here but I've seen something similar happening as I'm developing our next product. It seems that the Virtual Disk Service gets confused when multiple drives spawn one after another. This was on Windows 8.1 and when my driver spawned 3 virtual drives, one after another, the disks list in disk management (which uses VDS) showed duplicate drives with the same drive index (e.g. "Drive 3" would show up twice).

Since StableBit DrivePool uses VDS as well, it would presumably also see that kind of duplication.

I did confirm that this is a VDS issue whereby simply restarting the VDS service the problem went away.

But what's more disconcerting about this is that for each duplicated drive, the fake clones were showing up as uninitialized raw drives. Now these drives were really fully initialized drives with data on them. When I attempted to initialize them, through the fake clone, the real drive lost all of its data.

So at this point my jaw hit the floor. VDS has a bug whereby it can spawn more than one representation of a drive that really points to one physical drive. Moreover, attempting to initialize the fake clone drive will wipe the data off of the real drive.

I'm still experimenting with this and will see if I could put code in to work around this issue.