Remove from Pool vs Drive Usage Limiter

airjrdn

Question

I'm replacing a single drive in my pool with a larger one.  The drive currently contains duplicated data only, as it was showing some errors.

I'm curious, for this use case, is there a difference between these options?

Option 1

• Click Remove to remove the drive from the pool
  • Wait until that finishes
  • Physically remove the disk

Option 2

• Under Balancers->Drive Usage Limiter, uncheck both Duplicated and Unduplicated
  • Optionally wait until that finishes
  • Click Remove to remove the drive from the pool
  • Wait until that finishes
  • Physically remove the disk

3 answers to this question

There is one main difference:

When you remove the disk, it sets the Pool to be read only. That may break functionality for a lot of software.

And since this can take hours or days, even.... It may not be acceptable.

And this is why I recommend using the "Drive Usage limiter" to evacuate a drive prior to removal. It's easier on you in the long run.

I had actually gone with option 2.  Given that the drive had shown signs of issues, I had already set it to only contain duplicated data until the replacement drive arrived (yesterday).

What I noticed was, using the Drive Usage Limiter, when unchecking the 2nd option (for duplicated data), the pool appeared to rebalance slowly to 100%, but the drive itself still showed a large bright blue bar indicating the duplicated data was not being removed.  I assume it was being duplicated elsewhere, but not removed from that drive, possibly just for safety reasons.

The drive I removed was a 500G drive containing around 380G of (duplicated) data.  After replacing it and adding the new one to the pool, the pool went to work again.  I left for the night, and when I check things this morning, the pool progress bar was green, but the new 2TB replacement drive only has 2.44GB of unduplicated data and 2.19KB of duplicated data.  No balancing options have been changed, everything is at the default settings.

The pool itself appears fine, the only real oddity is that the new drive is basically empty.

Here's a link to an image of the DrivePool screen for you to see what I'm referring to.

http://screencast.com/t/HYxQGSMZ8h1

In rare occassions, the settings for the Disk Usage Limiter don't like taking affect. In this case, reapply and it should fix it. That or reset the settings (gear icon ->troubleshooting -> reset all settings) will fix it.

Normally, when you apply the settings, it will show an arrow for the "target for [data type]" and slowing move the data off.

As for the the new disk, that is normal. By default, DrivePool doesn't attempt to fill the new disk, until you add new data. If you wish to equalize the space between disks, check out the "Disk Space Equalizer" balancer.

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins