Newbie questions

leops1984

Question

Hi all,

I'm looking into pooling my files using DrivePool, but before I do so I have a few questions about it: 

- How are drives that change drive letters handled? Say, for example, that my pool is set up with four drives across E, F, G, and H. At some time in the future, the drive letters change. Say the four drives are now J, K, L, and M. The data has not changed at all, only the drive letters. Can DrivePool handle this smoothly?

- Suppose that I have to reinstall Windows on the PC where DrivePool is installed. Is there anything "special" that I need to do to rebuild the pool post-reinstallation before I reformat, or is it just a simple matter of installing DrivePool again and setting up the pool?

2 answers to this question

Drive letter changes are handled in the background, silently without complaint.  Doesn't matter to DrivePool.  Change drive letters as you want, Windows Explorer acts just as before, transparently.  You can even eliminate drive letters all together as I have, and just number the drives.  All works the same.

I actually have one PC where my primary drive has 2 partitiions, The first, C, has Windows 7 as normal.  The second partition is part of my DrivePool.  I have formatted and reinstalled windows on C without touching the second partiion, or DrivePool.   AFter installing DP in the new Windows install, everything was back the same as before.  (You cannot install Windows on a pooled drive, must be on it's own partition/drive)

DrivePool has been rock solid for me.  No issues.  I am running it on a server, a NAS box, and on my main PC.  If you have a need to pool drives, DrivePool will do it in the background without the need for intervention.  You won't be disappointed.

As steve has said, StableBit DrivePool doesn't care about the drive letters. You can change them, remove them, or mount the disks to folder paths. All of which, DrivePool handles in stride. 

As for re-installation, if you're using WHS2011 or similar OS's, then there is a utility we have that will re-share the folders automatically for you.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Utilities

Aside from that, just install DrivePool, connect the drives and activate. It will recognize the existing disks and rebuild the pool.