Can't get DrivePool to initialiase with TrueCrypt

hzz

Question

Hi,
I am trying to pool 2 x 1.5TB drives into a single 2.xTB partition on Windows 7. I have converted the two disks to GPT disks for starters (to get around the 2TB limit the resultant DrivePool drive will be greater than). I then formatted the two disks as NTFS partitions and then added them to a new pool in DrivePool and I get a 2.72TB partition like I want (which I alloated to Z:). FYI both disks are plugged into a USB dual-bay hard drive dock (so dynamic volumes aren’t an option for me as I’m sure many would know). I already use TrueCrypt, however I cannot get the DrivePool-created drive (Z:) to be encrypted in TrueCrypt. 

I have tried the following:

1) Created the DrivePool as drive Z:. It is mounted in the o/s like a normal drive.

In TrueCrypt:

2) Selected "Tools" -> "Volume creation wizard"

3) "Encrypt a non-system partition drive"

4) "Standard TrueCrypt volume"

5) "Select device" -> "Z:"

6) "Encrypt partition in place", click "next" and get "Incorrect function" dialog, 

I click "OK", then I receive an error about the disk being damaged:
http://stablebit.com/Content/UploadedAssets/Images/f314147d-53eb-435c-92a5-6a2b464372c0.jpg

I click "OK" and another error about not being able to access the volume appears:
http://stablebit.com/Content/UploadedAssets/Images/bbb6614c-51f8-4602-be3f-6ccf15f018b7.jpg

So, instead of “Encrypt partition in place”, I chose “Create encrypted volume and format it”, “Aes” (default), default size, enter password, “Yes” to files over 4gb (Default=no), shows it’s selected “NTFS”, move the mouse around, click “Format”,  click ”Yes” to proceed, a second or two later I get an error telling me it can't dismount the partition:
http://stablebit.com/Content/UploadedAssets/Images/5b7ff999-63e0-4f9f-97fe-b16f2c53f41b.jpg

click “OK and then I receive and I get a final error saying it finally failed to create a volume:
http://stablebit.com/Content/UploadedAssets/Images/76ec2bb0-3384-450b-85a2-bec383328970.jpg

And I click “Cancel” to abort and that's where I am at. Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to get the encryption working? Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

Hmm,

Okay, so there is no ETA on this... Since I'm slowly running out of space on 2 of my disks and junction points don't quite work (because software is storing the "original" path instead of the junction-point path) I'll have to find a solution in the near future :(

Hope Alex will find a way to get this into a beta soon

Thanks!

Well, we've reorganized the page significantly recently. 

We are working on something that may get around the issue with the TrueCrypt volumes, though. 

Also, if you create a VHD on the TrueCrypt volume and mount the VHD, (which requires Windows 7 and up), you can add the volume to DrivePool without an issue.

Also, because support has officially ended for TrueCrypt, there is a lower priority adding this feature. 

Well, we've reorganized the page significantly recently. 

We are working on something that may get around the issue with the TrueCrypt volumes, though. 

Also, if you create a VHD on the TrueCrypt volume and mount the VHD, (which requires Windows 7 and up), you can add the volume to DrivePool without an issue.

Also, because support has officially ended for TrueCrypt, there is a lower priority adding this feature. 

Oooohhhh, this is such a shame. Truecrypt is rock solid. For many many users there`s no alternative to Truecrypt. 

After a few hours digging on the internet about pooling, which is a new topic for me, I reached the conclusion that StableBit DrivePool is what I need. But after testing myself (and I was really surprised it doesn`t work), it`s a no go for me.

Sorry about that. I really liked DrivePool.

Yeah, 2 Co-Workers didn't buy drivepool because of this. I still would love to see Truecrypt support in Drivepool since it's the best way to pool my drives - but to be honest: After hearing "lower priority" and the fact that it's in the work for over a year I doubt it will be there.

For many many users there`s no alternative to Truecrypt. 

There is BitLocker. And yes, I know that a lot of people refuse to use BitLocker because law enforcement back doors.

However, the thing is that the BitLocker is a better solution by far. Ignore the security standpoint for a second (just a second). BitLocker uses the full windows disk "stack" and API, so it's completely transparent to to any disk utilities/tools, includes StalbeBit DrivePool. We see the drive as a normal disk, via the VDS (Virtual Disk Service).

TrueCrypt bypasses the VDS system (the windows stack), which complicates things and means that a significant change the code needs to be implemented just to support TrueCrypt volumes.

Additionally, this all may be a moot point, as "Product 3" may bypass the issue completely, allowing for full TrueCrypt support for the pool. In fact, the reason that TrueCrypt got "lower priority" is because of this.

There is BitLocker. And yes, I know that a lot of people refuse to use BitLocker because law enforcement back doors.

However, the thing is that the BitLocker is a better solution by far. Ignore the security standpoint for a second (just a second). BitLocker uses the full windows disk "stack" and API, so it's completely transparent to to any disk utilities/tools, includes StalbeBit DrivePool. We see the drive as a normal disk, via the VDS (Virtual Disk Service).

TrueCrypt bypasses the VDS system (the windows stack), which complicates things and means that a significant change the code needs to be implemented just to support TrueCrypt volumes.

Additionally, this all may be a moot point, as "Product 3" may bypass the issue completely, allowing for full TrueCrypt support for the pool. In fact, the reason that TrueCrypt got "lower priority" is because of this.

AS long there are back doors, there are back doors. No matter for who.

I`m not a programmer but I understand what you`re saying. This approach it was by design. It might be one of the main reasons Truecrypt has such a success.

I`m sorry, but I didn`t follow you regarding the "Product 3". I`m new here. Do you have a new product on the horizon?

If that`s the case, congrats and I wish you "All the best!" with the 3rd child. :)

What`s the product, if you don`t mind? :)

That means, DrivePool will support Truecrypt in the future?

Cheers,

I definitely understand about the back door, and not being happy about it or wanting to use it.

And I'm not going to get into a debate about this here. It's not the point.

But just to re-emphasize here: because TrueCrypt doesn't use the built in methods for presenting disks to the system, DrivePool doesn't support them current, and would require an overhaul to add support.

As for addition products, Alex (the developer/owner) has mentioned "Product 3" a few times on our blog. Which is worth checking out, as we showcase new features, as well as talk about the products.

http://blog.covecube.com/2014/05/stablebit-drivepool-2-1-0-553-rc-file-placement-and-product-3/

And we have a wiki page that we try to keep up to date with our development status:

http://wiki.covecube.com/Development_Status

And specifically, it's how this "Product 3" will work that will allow you to use TrueCrypt volumes with the pool. It may be a bit of a work-around, but I've already asked Alex and he confirms that it should definitely work. So while it may not be native DrivePool support, it may be better in the long run since it won't require an overhaul for DrivePool (the more code/features you add, the more bugs can arrise.

However, since we're still keeping a lot of info regarding this product "under wraps", I can't really talk about it too much. 

And in fact, we have a couple of things on the horizon. :)

Hi,
As the OP, thanks for looking into it. I backed a loser with TrueCrypt in the end and I was burnt by Bitlocker once when Windows refused to recognise a Bitlocker-encrypted disk (to the point where I had to resort to a backup). Can't please everyone!

Hi,

As the OP, thanks for looking into it. I backed a loser with TrueCrypt in the end and I was burnt by Bitlocker once when Windows refused to recognise a Bitlocker-encrypted disk (to the point where I had to resort to a backup). Can't please everyone!

Ouch. :(

If i had to guess, the partition may have gone "raw". It happens occasionally, but on a bitlocker drive, I can definitely see that being absolutely disastrous. 

And when it comes to security, I don't think there really is ever a good solution... 

Both BitLocker and TrueCrypt have their upsides and downsides.

Ouh, this sounds interesting - maybe I'll migrate if it works perfectly. I found a thread in the forum where there was a problem with the license - maybe everything is fixed now?

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/522-license-transfer-request-on-os-encrypted-by-truecrypt/

Otherwise it looks like I'll have to wait for Product 3 (and so leave my bought license for drivepool completly unused) if I want to stick to Truecrypt. Is there an ETA for the BETA?

As he hasn't responded again, it was likely a one time thing due to how TrueCrypt encrypts the system drive.  

As for Product 3 (StableBit CloudDrive, actually), it may not eliminate the need for DrivePool. In fact, you may want to use it in conjunction with StableBit DrivePool. And that's part of why the File Placement Rules was a huge thing for us in StableBit DrivePool 2.X.  (Just think about that for a minute or three :) )

Additionally, if you own a license for StableBit DrivePool, then when we start selling licenses for StableBit CloudDrive, you can get a discount.

As for an ETA, "Soon" is about all I can say.  It's close, but we don't want to give an ETA as that can change drastically. However, I can guarantee that Alex will have a nice (long) blog post about it when we do release a public beta.  Check or subscribe to blog.covecube.com to keep updated, or subscribe to @covecube on twitter.