What to expect from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 upgrade

rtech73

Question

Good evening!

Been a Drivepool user since build 575.    It's been the backbone of my home server/media infrastructure since leaving WHS v1 as I needed duplication.   Used WHS2011 w/ Drivepool for quite awhile...

Then, a year or so ago I built a new server, but at the time decided on putting Windows 7 on it as 8 just didn't seem ready for prime time in my house.   Since then all of my machines have 8.1, I find it to be very useful, superior to Windows 7 and I want to now upgrade my server as well.   

Is there any reason that I should not expect DrivePool and Scanner to withstand an in place upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1?    It should probably be mentioned that I have a 24 disk pool with 3 external eSATA enclosures and 10 internal drives.   :-)

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

In theory, they *should* survive, but....

I would highly recommend uninstalling DrivePool prior to upgrading, then install it once the upgrade is complete.

The reason for that is the driver for the Pool. Upgrading can do "weird things" to the drivers in the system, so just to be on the safe side. 

All the settings and pool should be fine, after the fact though.

That, and I would recommend backing up the OS drive before upgrading, just in case.