File Access Question, Which Drive?

mbc0

Question

Hi,

I have some USB disks that I would like to use purely for Duplication, If I specify a USB drive to do this and the file is accessed does drivepool "offer" the file from the drive that has the files on it rather than the duplicated files? 

3 answers to this question

I will take a shot of this since I am new and had the same questions.  

Assuming you have both Duplication turn on and Read Stripping turned on (Read Stripping is on by default), the system will automatically read from the fastest drive.  But you also need to make sure you select to only allow Duplicated files on your USB Drive.  That is an additional setting under Pool Options->Balancing->Balancers->File Usage Limiter.

Yup, if you use the "Disk Usage Limiter" Balancer, you can tell DrivePool to ONLY use a drive for duplicated files or unduplicated files.

As for Read Striping, that's mostly true. If one drive is significantly slower, DrivePool will read only from the faster drive.

However, if both disks are close in speed , it will read from both. More details about that here:

http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/2.X/Manual?Section=Performance%20Options