Having trouble using usb 3 hub

dslabbekoorn

Question

I have 4 USB 3.0 drives attached to my server, the problem is, I only have 2 USB 3.0 ports.  My video card blocks my only available pci-x port internally so I can't add an expansion card for more ports.  I am therefore left with the option of using a USB 3.0 hub to add the extra 2 drives into my system at 3.0 speeds.  I have enough 2.0 ports for the drives, but would like to use them in their native mode.  However (there's always an however) the USB 3.0 hubs I have don't seem to play nice with WSE2012 or something.  Drives attached to the hubs are not detected or show up as new even though they have been in the pool previously.  Sometimes they are there OK then vanish on a reboot.  Does DrivePool have issues working with hubs or is this more likely a Windows thing?  I am kind of stumped here as I have never had any USB problems before.  When everyone is attached to USB 2.0 other than the 2 drives plugged into the 2 USB 3.0 ports, everything works.  Is there a hub anyone can recommend that is known to work with WSE2012 and DrivePool?  I grabbed one from Amazon and one from Newegg, both seemed to be well rated but don't want to work consistently with the server.  Thanks for any help.

6 answers to this question

This sounds like a Driver issues specifically. I've used USB3 drives, and USB3 hub for testing, and didn't have any issues. 

So it definitely sounds like it's an issue with the driver.

Do you know which chipset is in use for the USB? Or is it onboard (and if so, which motherboard)? 

And is this Server 2012 Essentials or Server 2012R2 Essentials?

Also, could you enable file system logging, just in case?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Windows Server 2012 Essentials, Gigabyte 770TA-UD3 motherboard, Renesas USB 3.0 chipset/driver, newest driver I can find is from 2010.  USB 3.0 is on-board.   Would a powered usb hub make any difference?  All the drives connected to it have their own power supplies so I wouldn't think so.  The hubs are both from companies in China so I have no idea of their quality and only went by reviews of other users.  I have a better grade hub coming from Amazon that is powered just to try.  I cost more anyway.  I have read on several other sites of problems when the drive spins down or sleeps that Win 8 and the server flavors can lose communication with it through a hub.  Not sure why that would be.  I could crack open a couple of them and move them internal if I have to but I like the plug and play convenience of USB.  USB2 is fast enough for Drivepool but the drives can and should work faster, I just don't want to get a new motherboard to do it.  My PCI-X x1 slot is currently blocked by the heatsink on my video card.  Expansion card is currently not an option.  Will try the new hub with logging enabled tomorrow and see what happens.

OK, new hub arrived and 3 of 4 drives were detected fine but the 4th will not be seen by the original motherboard or hub slots as usb 3.  Plug it in to a usb 2 slot and it's detected and added to the pool fine.  Yes this is a seagate expansion 2tb usb 3 drive. Brand new. I don't have another usb 3 a male to micro b male that seagate uses on their drives, had to order one from amazon prime,  I have had problems with cables before and it's a cheap check.  Hope the enclosure is OK, no way to check that other than a new cable.  Past return to amazon but should be under warranty from seagate yet if I need to return it  Could replace the enclosure but if it's under warranty I send it back and wait for a new one.  No response at all on usb 3 but usb 2 works, got to be the cable.

Got my new cable from Amazon today (god I love Prime) Powered the drive & server down, swapped out the cable and fired them back up.  Success!  The drive was found and installed on a USB3 port, all of them actually, It was the cable, nice to get a $3.57 solution once in a while.  All is now good on my 12.5 TB of media.