Feature request: Ignore specific drives for *specific* SMART errors

daydr3am3r

Question

Hi all,

First of all, apologies if this is a dupe, didn't find a similar topic after a quick search. It'd be great if the Scanner could ignore certain SMART values from specific drives as to not be reported as a problem (or have the ability to "acknowledge" it).

The idea behind this stemmed from some Samsung S2 USB3 drives I own that reported a Calibration Retry Count warning since forever, but otherwise work fine.Ideally I would still like to be informed by *other*

SMART errors happening for these drives, but not that one.

4 answers to this question

When the SMART error occurs for the drive, you can "ignore" it. You should be presented with the option to "Ignore current" and "permanently ignore". The difference between these options is that the "Ignore current" option will notify you if this value increases. The permanent option will ignore any increase in the "problem values".

However, the Calibration Retry Count SMART value usually indicates a mechanical issue with the drive, and you may want to consider RMAing the drive, or otherwise replacing it. ESPECIALLY if the value is increasing.

Hi Christopher, 

Thank you for the fast reply. Digging through the interface I found the options you mention, but then I guess it would be convenient to have those options

on the dialog shown below:

post-1686-0-21642800-1408074356_thumb.jpg

I also realized something weird which prevented me from finding the ignore/un-ignore button, Scanner apparently sometimes isn't able to poll the S.M.A.R.T. counters for those drives,

so the  "Show S.M.A.R.T." option isn't always present (at the moment of this writing it is, so I was able to ignore the warnings).

However, while running HD Tune Pro v.5.00 I could see said counters while the option was still missing from Scanner.

Unfortunately the drives are past their guarantee so I can't RMA them, but the data on them is safely backed up.

If you're having issues with the polling of the SMART data, then you may need to enable "Smart_NoWmi" in the advanced config file.

Some drives/controllers have issues with the WMI query and do what you're describing.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

And while it may be an extra step or two, it is usually better to review the drives before deciding what to do. Bad habits and all.