Server Stuck on Measuring After a Completed Re-Balance

BYUSinger84

Question

I'm having an issue with my server that hopefully someone here knows what I can do to resolve it. Background information:

WHS 2011 - Core 2 Quad 9400, 6 Gigs of RAM, ten hard drives most of which are 2 tb and 1 3TB. Duplication is enabled on all folders. 

A few nights ago I thought I'd give StableBit's Drive Scanner a try. I'm glad I did because the next day it alerted me that one of my drives had bad sectors on it. At that time I had about 500 gigs free on the pool with the bad drive being a 2 TB drive. Because the data was all duplicated, I thought well...let's just take it out and replace it. I already had a 3 TB I had been meaning to put in anyway so this seemed like as good a time as any. I removed the damaged 2 TB drive from the pool, shut down the server, added the new drive, and then booted back up. I was able to add the 3 TB drive without any issues at all. Duplication began and once that was complete, the measuring process started (rather quickly I might add). It went through the first drive, no problems, then the second (the 3 tb), then as it got about 1/5 of the way through the 3rd drive everything starts running really slow and I can barely click on anything. Measuring got to about 15.8% when it started freezing. The dashboard freezes as well as the task manager. The last reported CPU utilization was about 25% and the RAM usage was down around 30%. Now I'm at a point where I can't even log back into the server after having logged off thinking that may help me out. My shared drives still work but it takes several minutes to open a folder. I don't even want to know what will happen if I try to open a file. Because this is running in Hyper-V (which I've been doing for years now without issue), I can still see that the CPU Usage bounces between 22-24% which indicates to me that something is going on. My question is, do I just leave it here doing it's thing for the next 24 hours? Does anyone have any idea what the deal is? I'm running the latest DrivePool 1.3 that's out at the time of this writing. Thanks for any thoughts in advance. 

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

** Update ***

I did have a SMART warning on a drive, but after removing it, it remeasured and seemed to get stuck in the same place. That drive passes all the tests, so I don't know what's going on...based on the behavior though it seems to me that one of two things is happening:

1) That drive is actually going bad but it's just not showing up on SMART tests

or

2) There are so many small files on that drive that it's taking longer to measure. Could this be the case? 

That's definitely not supposed to happen. 

I hate to say this, but I'd recommend rebooting the server. If it's just measuring, then there shouldn't be any risk to the files.

if you can, do this afterwards:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Error_Reports

This may indicate some of the issues that are occurring.

But if this problem comes back, please do this then:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Freeze

This is the error I get:

Product: StableBit DrivePool -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action DashboardLockingFixInstallCustom, location: C:\Program Files\StableBit\DrivePool\, command: C:\Windows\system32\sdbinst.exe /q "C:\Program Files\StableBit\DrivePool\DashboardLockingFix.sdb" 

and this:

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: StableBit DrivePool. Product Version: 1.3.7556. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Covecube Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

At this point I think I'm royally screwed. The server will NOT let me re-install the drive pool software. I've thought about reformatting but the problem is that my backups were on the pool and so I'm not sure how a format and reinstall of the OS will affect those. They are absolutely CRITICAL that I do not lose those...I don't know what to do at this point. If anyone has ANY ideas, please, by all means. 

I had something similar last week, except that my problem went away once I replaced the drive. Scanner emailed me that one of my server's drives had bad sectors. When I went to check on it, the server was frozen. I had to reboot it, and it worked for a while then froze up again, until it was at the point that even just trying to open DrivePool's UI (since that queries all drives in the pool) would freeze the machine again. Since I had everything duped, I physically pulled the drive. No more freezing. The drive's SMART had noted two bad sectors but felt the drive was otherwise fine. Obviously, SMART isn't perfect.

But as to your situation... what happens if you disconnect the new replacement drive? It could be the controller, port or cable being used that has a problem?

Anyone know what this means and how I can re-install? 

Product: StableBit DrivePool -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  Action DashboardLockingFixInstallCustom, location: C:\Program Files\StableBit\DrivePool\, command: C:\Windows\system32\sdbinst.exe /q "C:\Program Files\StableBit\DrivePool\DashboardLockingFix.sdb" 

I've redownloaded it several times. 

Since there seems to be a problem with the 1.3 version, I tried the 2.x beta and magically everything started working again. This leads me to believe that something was very messed up with my installation of the prior version. Given that now I have lost dashboard integration, I'd like to not stay on this version. If someone from StableBit could let me know what I can do to get back to normal (with Dashboard integration) at some point that would be great. 

Reboot into safe mode, and set the "StableBit DrivePool Service" to "manual" startup type and then reboot normally. See if that is the cause of the lag.

If doing that doesn't help, then reboot into safe mode again, and uninstall the "CoveCube Disk Emulator" in Device Management. (run "devmgmt.msc" from run box).

Let me know how that goes.

Disabled the service. Server hasn't slowed down or frozen yet (usually does it by now). Another odd behavior I've noticed too, if I use VLC to play media files it works fine, but if I use media center or media player it doesn't. This is the same across all my computers. It's not on just one machine. It was working fine before all this trouble started. Not sure if that helps you at all. 

What would you suggest I do now?

So an update, after a few hours of the server running ok, I decided to run a system file scan using sfc /scannow. It DID find some problems, fixed them. I then rebooted. Then I got to thinking, since the balancing and everything else seems to work ok except for the measuring process and the Windows Media Player/Center playback, it got me thinking about how those two might tie together. Then the thought occurred to me that (I believe) measuring and WMP/WMC both utilize indexing features on the server. I tested this theory by deleting and recreating the indexing database from the indexing options in the control panel. After everything indexed, I re-enabled the StableBit Drive Pool service and within less than 5 minutes it froze again, like before. I'm going to try a few more things, but if the folks at Stable Bit have any thoughts, I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks again for your input.