Problems with NFS Share on Drivepool

falc410

Question

I have set up a few NFS shares on my Drivepool running Server 2012 Essentials. Sometimes one of the shares is not accessible and I can't figure out why. Sometimes it helps to reboot the server but most of the time it doesn't. I then tried to un-share and re-share the same folder again, even with a different name, still it stays unaccessible from the outside while all other folders work fine.

After several reboots of the server and client and changing the sharing name / settings I gave up and shared the folder directly from the normal disk and voila it worked, so I'm 99% sure that the problem is with Drivepool.

Are there any known problems with NFS? Anything I can do to debug this?

7 answers to this question

I am using NFS Server Role in 2012 Essentials. I tried setting up the Shares using the Server Manager and with just right clicking a folder, going to Properties - NFS Share.

You can't have spaces in the Name, Windows does not allow it. But I only have Single words.

Enconding is set to ANSI, all 3 Kerberos options are enabled, No Server authentication enabled, enable unmapped user access, allow unmapped user UNIX (by UID / GID) and if you click on Permissions I enabled root access, ALL MACHINES read only.

I exported 7 Serverfolders with NFS since I couldn't get SMB to work at all when connecting from anything other than a Windows 8 Machine (OSX works but is slow as hell). XBMC (Openelec) works fine with NFS but like I said, sometimes one of the shares can just not be accessed. If you browse the list of shares it turns up but you can access it.

The last time it happened to my 3DMovies share, after un-sharing and re-sharing it I did a server reboot and it worked again. Now it happened to my Anime Share and what ever I tried, I was unable to access it. Luckily the Serverfolder resides on a Single HDD so I was able to share it directly and then it worked again. Currently the other shares from the Pool work too.

I'd very much like to Debug it though because what's the point in using Drivepool when not using the Pool...

Stuff like this wouldn't show up in the text logging. That's entirely "service output" and not the driver logging. That's why I asked for the file system logging. It's harder to read, but may give a good idea of what is going on.

I've flagged the issue here:

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/6293