Drivepool Balancing and File Placement (What is wrong or why is NOT working!?)

eujanro

Question

Hi covecube,

Using Windows 10 Pro, DP 2.3.1.1410 BETA, Scanner 2.6.2.3869 BETA

One Pool under letter B:\ with over 40TB size

Long time user of Covecube solutions, just wanted to optimize speed for certain files, by using two  SSD for \PICTURES and \MUSIC folders.

For that, I just added the two SSD drives into the Pool and configure a "File Placement" rule using "File Placement Option" to USE only the 2 drives for mentioned folders. 

Looking on the SSD's root GUID PoolPart directory and lo-and-behold, other files\Folders (eg. BACKUP, MOVIES, ...) landed there, and no matter I do, they love to stay on the expensive NAND. The \PICTURES Folder is 2x Duplicated (around 900GB including duplication usage) and the \MUSIC is 770GB not duplicated. The SSD are reporting 1.31TB and 932GB free.

Everything under "Balancers" Plugins, is set to Default and active are the: Stable Bit Scanner, Volume Equalization, Drive Usage Limiter, Prevent Drive Overfill, Duplication Space Optimizer

The follwing are "Disabled": Disk Space Equalizer, SSD Optimizer, Ordered File Placement Rules.

Why are the "File Placement Rules" not working ?!?

5 answers to this question

[Update 2]

After adding a 16TB new HDD, the Balancing rules have wonderfull worked, and the replacement rules have been respected.

I had to really further set exclusions file placement rule for other non /MUSIC /PICTURE root structure directories also. It's really wonderfull how this is working. A real state of the art software.

In summary, it was the over 90% usage of other pooled hard drives that forced an Overflow of data, to the SSD. 

[Update]

I think I have identify the reason behind the file placement rule violation (overflowing).

It seems that all other HDD's total used space is 90% filled or more, and the default Pool Overflow rule is permitting this:
image.thumb.png.1af02e8cf5023936ef0150d223c918a7.png

I will add another 8TB to the pool, rebalance, and will check afterwards, if the disk total used space will drop under 90%, the SSD data will also be properly rebalanced.

I have found that DrivePool balancing and duplication often have problems when I hit that 90% threshold. I have seen my SSD cache get kicked offline as well. Fortunately, adding more HDD storage and/or removing unused files corrects the problems on my system. I have to manually recheck my SSD to tell DrivePool that it should be used as an SSD cache and not an archive disk. But it seems to work again without any problems.

If you are happy with your current custom SSD cache settings, I would write them down because it seems to me that I had reenter my settings. After many months of not looking at DrivePool (it just works), I had forgotten my custom SSD cache settings and had to play around with it again until I got it back to where it works best for my system. If you use the default settings, then it might not be an issue.

On 5/17/2022 at 5:03 AM, gtaus said:

I have found that DrivePool balancing and duplication often have problems when I hit that 90% threshold. I have seen my SSD cache get kicked offline as well. Fortunately, adding more HDD storage and/or removing unused files corrects the problems on my system. I have to manually recheck my SSD to tell DrivePool that it should be used as an SSD cache and not an archive disk. But it seems to work again without any problems.

If you are happy with your current custom SSD cache settings, I would write them down because it seems to me that I had reenter my settings. After many months of not looking at DrivePool (it just works), I had forgotten my custom SSD cache settings and had to play around with it again until I got it back to where it works best for my system. If you use the default settings, then it might not be an issue.

Actually I'm not using the SSD's as "cache" on my configuration. Their are just (faster) storage devices in my pool, an therefore I just wan't them to hold only data that must be delivered as quickly as technically possible.

In my case, the Plex Photo library just skyrocketed in responsiveness and browsing speed, by delivering the content, from where it is stored, the SSD drives, no matter of inside or out of my home network. Couch-time family photos browsing is a delight now.

SSD caching works great and make a difference indeed when direct file level access/delivery on the network is required. But that's not my model usage for now.

20 hours ago, eujanro said:

Actually I'm not using the SSD's as "cache" on my configuration. Their are just (faster) storage devices in my pool, an therefore I just wan't them to hold only data that must be delivered as quickly as technically possible.

In my case, the Plex Photo library just skyrocketed in responsiveness and browsing speed, by delivering the content, from where it is stored, the SSD drives, no matter of inside or out of my home network. Couch-time family photos browsing is a delight now.

SSD caching works great and make a difference indeed when direct file level access/delivery on the network is required. But that's not my model usage for now.

I see. your SSD's are used as archive drives, just very fast archive drives. I have not used File Placement in my DrivePool, so I don't have any personal experience to offer. If adding your new 8TB drive to the systems cleans up the files being dumped on your SSD's, then I hope you update your results so we all can learn.