Removed Drive from Pool and Set it to Duplicate files later / Now What?

Spaatz

Question

So I am decommissioning a drive. K:/  I clicked Remove Drive from Pool and set the flag to "Duplicate Files Later" which removed the drive from the pool and made it standalone.  There is about 160GB remaining on the drive in the pool folder according to the tool.  Now DrivePool is indicating it is in the "Duplicating" process at 83% and taking forever (as one would expect).  I suspect that it is just moving files off the drive no longer in pool and distributing them across the other drives but I want to be certain. It's been running about 18 hours and the drive removed from pool isn't getting any smaller. Am I right here in assuming that DrivePool is moving files off it and redistributing them? Will the drive be empty when done or does it still retain the files from when it was in the pool indefinitely?  How can I check to ensure that the files were properly relocated or redistributed to the other drives?  What exactly is the process that occurs when clicking Remove and setting the flag to duplicate files later? Many thanks for your reply.

1 answer to this question

When I remove a drive from DrivePool, for example a 4TB HDD, it can be a lot longer than 18 hours. Add to that, a file duplication after the removal, and you would be looking at many, many hours for the task to complete. Having said that, I know DrivePool is not the fastest solution for file transfers, but it seems to get the job done in its own time. In my case, the process takes place in the background and I just let it run because I'm usually not in any great hurry.

I almost always have DrivePool remove the drive and duplicate as needed in the removal process. I suspect, that DrivePool might offload all your files on your remove drive but you might still have some duplicate files on the drive when it is done. But, I have very few folders designated to duplicate.

To check that your files set for duplication were redistributed properly on DrivePool, you can go to Settings>Troubleshooting>Recheck duplication and that should report results for you. Again, that process might take some time. I have 80TB+ on my DrivePool, almost all pool drives are slow USB archive drives, and I have learned to be patient. Fortunately, DrivePool seems to handle things better without my interference and I have seen some processes take a few days to complete.